• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Batfink

205 Gentry Hubs And Shafts

Batfink

I have a 205 gentry and the drivers driveshaft is dead.

Well thinking the hub looked like my spare 1.9 ones I pulled the car apart

nope spline is smaller and so I am a little screwed

I dont want to buy new driveshaft as I am converting the car to a 1.9 gti shortly

So its a secondhand 1.6 one or try this idea....

How bad would it be to fit a 1.9 driveshaft and hub and try to bolt on the standard gentry brakes?

Would this work?

Gentrix

the gentry already has the bigger 1.9 Driveshafts. The smaller 1.6 and cti Driveshafts will not fit. And you will have no abs, if you use Non-ABS drives.

Batfink

but the driveshaft splines dont match the 1.9 gti hubs I have so they must have their own driveshaft?

Gentrix

which size has the driveshaft nut? If it´s 35, than it´s 120 BHp motronic and Gentry size.

If it´s smaller, it could be 1.6, cti or the older 130 BHP jetronic driveshafts.

But maybe it is all different on your island. I heard that in some countries the Gentry was delivered with Reardrums instead of disks.

Gentrix
but the driveshaft splines dont match the 1.9 gti hubs I have so they must have their own driveshaft?

oh - now is it the ABS ring, which makes the Gentry hub thicker, so it does not fit in the GTI shaft?

Why bolt a non ABS hub to a ABS car, then the Brakes are the same - must be Girling, right?

Batfink

I used I think a 32mm socket to remove the hub nut. The driveshaft is smaller than the 1.9gti hub. Dunno if it has ABS - i'm not sure it has, Was hard to see as there is about a centimetre of grease all over the thing. It does have rear drums

Dunno what the brakes are. Are they stamped Girling or Bendix? Think they are not the same as 1.9 brakes as they need a 9mm allen key to undo the brakepad cover and my gti ones need a 10mm allen key

Edited by Batfink

Gentrix

humpf - so this Gentry is nothing like mine or the others I know. :D

can you post some pictures of the car?

Batfink

gentry1.jpg

gentry2.jpg

Thats with 1.9 alloys I added - wheels do not stick out like the 1.6gti when you fit 1.9 alloys - they are in the arch

Edited by Batfink

Super Josh

Kev, If it had ABS, you would notice the ABS light coming on for a few seconds when you turn on the ignition. Haven't a clue which shafts they are though :D

Josh

Alastairh

Sounds to me like an after market none genuine 1.6 shaft, hence the 32mm socket.

Some 1.9s have 35/36mm hubnuts, just depends on what make the shafts have been replaced with in its previous life.

uk gentrys run the 1600 setup front and back

of this i am 99% sure!

Henry Yorke

I agree with Adam. UK Gentrys are 1.9 XU9J1/AZ (105 bhp) automatics which run 1.6 brakes and shafts. This is the same setup as my 1.9 CTI, but has the wishbones instead of track control arms.

All 205s with ABS run 1.9 driveshafts and discs all round. Gentrys don't have ABS.

johno_78

i have 2 1.9 gti autos, which i believe use the same setup as the gentry. my autos both origianlly used the 1.6 gti driveshafts and hubs and were on drum brakes at the rear.

Gentrix
Gentrys don't have ABS.

Over here the Gentry has Sunroof, ABS, Servo and 1.9 Disks all around with proper wishbones as standard, both the manual Box and the automatic Versions.

Miles

Right, Easy one this, The Gentry uses std Auto shaft's which are about 1/2" shorter than the 1.6 shaft so these will not fit unless you use 309 Wishbones.

They are the 1.6 front hub thou using 1.9 Caliper's and disc's (& 106 GTi)

Batfink

cheers Miles. I hink I will just whack on the 1.9 shafts and hubs then :D saves me a few quid :D

Batfink

well putting them side by side this morning it looks like the driveshaft I removed was slightly longer than my 1.9 driveshaft. The intermediate shaft looks the same length so the difference seems to be at the hub end. In which case I should be fine as I will be using matching shafts and hubs

Batfink
be intresting to see if they fit

success! the 1.9 shafts and hubs swap straight on it seems. I have put everything together and just need to fill the gearbox and tighten up all the bolts as everything is finger tight at the moment

Super Josh

Kev, you must have been freezing your t!ts off working on the car today :)

Josh

Batfink

well actually I was ok lol - 3 t-shirts a jumper and a coat, hat, tracky bottoms and jeans over the top. Wasent warm still lol

Sign in to follow this