• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ORB

Is This Viable?

ORB

OK, my Sorrento GTi 1.6 is gonna be parked up in the garage for for a while, as I am going to strip it and repair any little niggles I have and install my 'home brew' TT conversion kit.

While I have the engine out, I was thinking about uprating it to 1.9

Can I use the crank and con-rods from the 1.9 SRI engine I have to increase the displacement of my 1.6 GTi motor?

Whats your thoughts, I realise I will need to swap the injectors too but thats fine as I have a few sets of 1.9 ones.

Any advice help or shoot this idea down?

:P

Ta

Edited by ORB

Anthony

That should work fine - 1.9 rods and crank together with 1.6 pistons will give a moderate increase in CR compared to 1.9 pistons. For N/A that compression increase is fine, but if you're going to be running a Turbo then you'll want 1.9 pistons (preferably dished slightly to further lower compression)

ORB

So it does not make any difference that the engine I plan to use as a donor is a 405 SRi ??

Anthony

AFAIK the SRi bottom end is the same except for the pistons - certainly the rods and crank are the same as the XU9JA (1.9 GTi) engine so there's no problem there :P

ORB

Cool

So its not exactly a hard job, should take about 2 hours if the engine is on the old work bench

Anything else I should be looking at?

Guest rick03054

Remember you'll need the 1.9 dizzy, afm and ecu too.

ORB

Really?

Although, I have these parts, I was not aware that they are different.

How do you tell them apart?

Richie-Van-GTi

you can tell by the codes. Check a post by me titled 'help with gentry' theres a list of afm and ecu codes in there IIRC.

ORB

OK,

Me and this search feature dont get on too well as I cant find it :lol:

Anthony

If you're planning on home-brew turbo, you need to have a think about what you're going to do about retarding ignition and supplying extra fuel whilst on boost - the standard 8v management won't do that (hence Turbo Technics used a 5th injector and added a boost-retard unit to the dizzy).

I'd personally use something like Megasquirt and then you can ditch all the standard management and clockwork dizzy, and have something properly mapped and getting full benefits

As for identifying management parts - off the top of my head, 1.9 AFM ends in "109" and 1.6 ends "056", 1.9 injectors are yellow and 1.6 are blue, and 1.9 ECU ends "359" and 1.6 ends "240" - can't remember the dizzy part numbers but enough searching should find it.

sonofsam

I thought I talked him round into doing 'Henry Yorke' Home brew set up?!, so wont need any 1.9 afm/ecu/dist. :P

:lol: Just the bits of a XU10 T.

Edited by sonofsam

ORB

Sonofsam

You are correct, that is what I want to do, go with the XU10 T parts.

But, I thought I would call it a home brew TT conversion as I could not remember the engine code

lol

Cheers though.

(the engine i found turned out to be a non starter as the bloke was a cock)

ORB

Hmm, updated..

Do I need to put the spacer from the sump from a 1.9 gti in?

Sign in to follow this