• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mad Professor

205 Abs

Mad Professor

Hi All.

Just a quick post, I know it's only the later 205's that came with ABS and to find one I understand is quite rare.

I just wanted to know if anyone knows if the 205 ABS is anygood, and would it be worth fitting ABS to a non ABS 205?

Thanks for your time.

Dino

Its not a *bad* system by anymeans but it's not as good as modern ABS systems.

Having said that when I had ABS on my 205 it saved my bacon on several occasions so in that respect it was VERY good indeed!

Mad Professor

Theres a 205 Auto with abs in a local scrapy atm.

I am thinking about fitting it to my 205.

Also if I was to change the 205 brake from standard gti to say the 307 HDi brake will the 205 abs unit still be ok, or would I have to fit a 307 HDi abs unit?

I am just starting to worrie about stoping now it's winter.

Miles

The ABS senor's only work on the front wheels so it's a 2 channel system,

If your going to fit a system there's no reason why a 306 set up wouldn't work, You;d need to muck around at the back and buy new hub's all round for the sensors to fit in, not forgetting Driveshafts.

Ahl

Doesn't ABS ruin left foot braking? :P

sorr
Doesn't ABS ruin left foot braking? :P

Not in my experience.

I would fit the ABS. My current car has ABS and my old one did not. Given the 205 has 'relatively' large brakes for its weight you can lock it up easily. People will say you can ease of the brakes etc, but this takes thinking time which you may not have in a heavy braking situation. With ABS you jump on the pedal and let the car do the work.

Edited by sorr

Mad Professor

I have only ever locked all my wheels once, and that was in the dry, I would not like to think about locking my wheels up in the wet.

I think i'll go up the scrapy tomowz, and see if the ABS bit's are still there.

When I go up whats bit's I am needing to bring back with me?

ABS Pump.

ABS Blackbox.

ABS Loom or much ass possible.

Front Hub's.

ABS Sensors.

Front Driveshafts.

Anything else.

I know I will need the brake lines, but I am about to get some new ones made up anyway, so I will just get them made for the ABS.

Miles

You'll need a ton of brake line, It's like a maze,

But depending on the type of ABS you may get Pump/ECU together or the 205 one lives in the boot and maybe dash out to get the wiring out in one bit.

Don;t take the sensor's out of the hub's, they normally break

ablister

Best to check the master cylinder too as you may need that if you are currently using 1.9 system

Sign in to follow this