• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JR20516V

405td Gear Ratios With Mi16 Turbo Motor?

JR20516V

Does anybody have the ratios for the 405 diesel as i can find all the others on search but not the TD.

Also can my Quaffe LSD fit into the TD gearbox?

What do you think would be the good and bad points of using the TD gearbox with an MI16 turbo motor.

Cheers inadvance for any help on this.

John

welshpug

they'll be a bit too low!

cant remember exactly what they are but 30mph in 4th is roughly 1700 rpm, and 3rd is about 2200.

Mikey S
they'll be a bit too low!

cant remember exactly what they are but 30mph in 4th is roughly 1700 rpm, and 3rd is about 2200.

my 405 td pulls 50 in 5th at around 1900 rpm, 3000 rpm is around the 80mph mark in 5th.

mike

taylorspug

Maybe the ratios wouldnt be too bad, but as suggested they will all be a bit too low, so maybe swapping to a different final drive would be a good option. :lol:

welshpug
Maybe the ratios wouldnt be too bad, but as suggested they will all be a bit too low, so maybe swapping to a different final drive would be a good option. :lol:

but then you may as well start with the standard turbo box, what kind of drive are you wanting? IIRC Henry has a Hybrid gearbox on his turbo skip but I cant remember what ratios and final drive he has.

JR20516V
but then you may as well start with the standard turbo box, what kind of drive are you wanting? IIRC Henry has a Hybrid gearbox on his turbo skip but I cant remember what ratios and final drive he has.

I was just trying to use a stronger box and if the ratios were good for a turbo application then go with that box with maybe a couple of changes.

My box to go in shortly has the following... 3.25

0.86 [ this i'd like to change to a .756 from a MI16 or

205 grd....anybody got one lying around ? ]

3.94 diff

Hope that helps explain what i'm trying to do.

cheers

Hilgie

If you want the above ratios, why don't you choose a gearbox from a ZX 1.9D ?

welshpug
I was just trying to use a stronger box

unfortunately an Urban Myth!!! they're identical bar the number of teeth on the cogs inside!!!

Hilgie

I use a Xantia 1.9TD box which is stronger than the normal boxes. It has the bigger diff and there is more bracing outside and inside the box.

Henry Yorke
I use a Xantia 1.9TD box which is stronger than the normal boxes. It has the bigger diff and there is more bracing outside and inside the box.

Interesting Hilgie. I didn't know that. I know that late 405's have a different diff in them with a thicker shaft for the planet gears or something, as I had to swap my diff over when fitting my gearbox in the skip as the driveshafts would not go in fully.

I run an BE3 Mi16 gearbox with a 1.9 final drive which gives me beautifully spaced gears for my low pressure turbo application. 5th @ 70mph is about 3000 rpm. 1,2,and 3 are just like a standard 1.9 box and 4th and 5th are longer. I also thought the TD box may be too long. A diesel box would be ok, like Hilgie says if you have bigger power, though the weakness of the BE3 is the diff and considering you have a Quaife, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Hilgie

All true! Although the diff issue can be overcome by using the gearbox side of the short driveshaft of the car where the bigger diff came with.

Sign in to follow this