• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Timmer205

Guess I Need New Rods And Linkages?

Timmer205

Its becoming harder and harder to make a smooth gear change in 1st and 2nd gear. Once i have got it in gear then its fine but the selection is difficult and there is more movement in these gears without changing.

Is this just a case of a gearbox repair kit of rods and linkages or a new gearbox?

Cheers

mickie

have you got a be1? i would say gearbox

Timmer205

Its a 1987 Phase 1 so yer i think it ie a be1

luggy

How many miles has she done? When was the last time the gearbox oil was changed? service interval is about 24k. How old are the engine mountings? lower one can perish through oil contamination causing s*itty gear changes, I had this problem with second gear until I changed it for a group N. I had the 2 front tyres changed on mine a couple of weeks ago and the tracking was slighly out , they set them so they 2 front wheels are parallel and the gearchange is noticeably smoother. Check your gear linkages as well, I wouldnt consider gearbox swapout at this early stage not until other basic options have been tried.

Richie-Van-GTi

tighten the 14mm nut that runs through the subframe to the linkage arm.

Edp

I recently changed my gear rods for some of Mile's ones and the gear change has improved so much. I used to have mega problems selecting reverse and second but thats all changed since I swapped to these babys. Like said there may be some play in the ball joint which is attached to the top of the subframe, just nip tht up first as its the cheapest thing on the list :huh:

Spiky
I recently changed my gear rods for some of Mile's ones and the gear change has improved so much. I used to have mega problems selecting reverse and second but thats all changed since I swapped to these babys. Like said there may be some play in the ball joint which is attached to the top of the subframe, just nip tht up first as its the cheapest thing on the list :angry:

mile's? is that his exact name, as i need tio get some off him too :lol:

Spiky
mile's? is that his exact name, as i need tio get some off him too :angry:

igonore that,

pm'd him now :lol:

jackherer
mile's? is that his exact name, as i need tio get some off him too :unsure:

There is no apostrophe, unless you're talking about something that belongs to Miles and then it would go after his name (Miles' not Mile's).

Sign in to follow this