• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
acox99

Mi 16 Timing After Replacing Belt

acox99

Iv got a 405 MI and iv replaced the belt as it had snapped, took the head off and it was pitted and head gasket was nar on non existant, iv a iron block head spare, they are slighty different, as exhast manifold has different bolt pattern, i put it on anyway, havent linked up exhaust to manifold yet as slightly different, lined up all the timing marks, it runs but sounds slightly out, as doesnt idle, does this mean iv tensioned it 2 much and need to slacken it off and move it slightly, or take the belt of and do it again, iv never done a cam belt before, and was chuffed it ran (very loud) but what do i do now, its a pain getting to the belt, not much room, and didnt have proper timing pims, used bolts.....

also is the other head able to be saved with a skim, even though its pitted, or is it scrap now?

cheers ali

boombang

Not really sure what the question is here?

Regards the other head, yes you can skim Mi heads (quite a lot!).

I'd be more worried about bent valves along with guide and seat damage than some pitting though.

As for the first bit I'm not sure what you are asking. Are you asking if the timing is wrong because you have a poor idle?

If you have used some sort of bolt for timing you won't be more than a tooth or two out so its probably not timing out causing poor idle. Check for air leaks, that the AFM is plugged in etc - do some general "poor idle" searches.

A clearer question with more details of the spec could help too (can't work out how you are running a 2 litre head as no dizzy drive?)

Edited by boombang

acox99

i will check the valves in the old head.

but the problem is,i bought the car as a non runner, a snapped cam belt iv put an iron block head and exhaust manifold on an alloy block engine, put a new head gasket in, and put the belt back on, lined up timing marks with bolts, rotated engine twice, looked in line, slightly out maybe, and when i got it started it was out on timing, not much, but do i have to take the belt back off, an re time it, or can i move the belt round slightly by releasing the tensioners......hope i make sense, just i done have any proper timing equipment., and havent done a cam belt before

hexhamstu

just take it off and start again, with better timing pins.

Sign in to follow this