• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
migti

Rear Beam Guru's

migti

Right quick q for the people in the know

i have 2 rear beams, both have fubard n/s traling arm shafts

Can i press out a good one from the o/s arm and press it into a n/s traling arm ok?

Cheers all

taylorspug

Yes that will be fine, the shafts are not handed. ;)

migti

nice one! better get the hot spanner out then befor i press em out!

Cheers

welshpug

no need! mine took 4 tons on Saturday, make sure you get them recessed by 2mm when they go back in, and if you're re-using a shaft turn it 180 degrees to what it was at before pressing it in, puts the load on a fresh surface (instead of putting all the load through the same point again and wearing it out, using it the other way should double its life if the seals stay intact.)

migti

interesting

are they recessed 2m std? ill have good look befor i press them out

cheers

Edited by migti

taylorspug

You got lucky on that one then. All the ones ive seen have taken a minimum of 10 tons, and they can go anything up to 40 to get the really stubborn ones out! You may get lucky, but be prepared to attack it with some heat...

welshpug
interesting

are they recessed 2m std? ill have good look befor i press them out

cheers

yes they should be recessed 2mm, the ARB plate seal sits in there.

You got lucky on that one then. All the ones ive seen have taken a minimum of 10 tons, and they can go anything up to 40 to get the really stubborn ones out! You may get lucky, but be prepared to attack it with some heat...

I guess I was lucky, one took 6 tons before going "pop" and sliding out while my mate pumped the pump, and the other took 4!

mind when my 205's beam was being done 50 tons didnt shift them, even with heat! so they were drilled out then the remains pressed out.

travill

hammer them out the mans way!

nick

Us Derbyshire lads must be a bit stronger than the rest of 'em.....

I swapped my shaft using a blow torch, drift, and a big hammer, no problem.

Nick

skeggyrik

Popped my sh*gged shafts out last Saturday using a press.

I was talking to guys in the workshop before we did it telling them how I'd heard it can take 10+ tonnes to push them out and that we may need to get it heated up blah blah. As it happened the gauge didn't even get to 2 before they were on the floor, probably could have knocked them out.. But you never know with these things. Getting the torsion bar out of the trailing arm so it would fit in the press was biggest problem. Heat and a lot of hitting eventually got it.

Sign in to follow this