• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
richystran

Sump Question Why Wont Fit?

richystran

Hi all

Just bought a 1.9 gti for tracking last night for £100 basically a shell that has been rubbed down ready for spraying but everything that needs to be is on it, except a sump! The person i bought it off said it bust and he mislayed it, anyway i tried a sump off a spare 1.9 engine i had and it would fit ok but the oil pump sits down too far for it to go on. Im confused why this is? Is it a uprated pump or is there different sumps on earlier 205's eg 1989 and a 1991 one?

Anyway i had a good look at the bottom end and i see alot of balancing has been done! and new rod's etc so alot of money has been spent also theres a full new magnex stainless exhaust with a four branch manifold.

I wonder if there went to the bother and expense of doing all this would there have done head work? I hope lOL

Thanks in advance

hafslund

Could it be the spacer between the sump and the block that's missing?

richystran

dont think it, but will have a look tomorrow, is a 1.9 sump flat all across with no deeper bit???

Hilgie

yes it's flat. I suppose the spacerplate is left out or someone has been modding evenmore and fitted a 2.0 sump AND a spacerplate and lowered the oilpickup. But that should be visible.

richystran

Suppose they could have hilgie! I wouldnt be mechanically minded mate but i can deffinitly see that the oilpickup is far lower than my other engine. What would that advantages of doing this by the way?

My mate is going to modify the sump tomorrow anyway but would rather have left it alone and got the right one!

Which 2.0 wngine are you talking about mate?

Cheers

Richy

whizzer71

Definitely sounds like the alloy spacer plate is missing,I think this is also fitted to give some rigidity to the block because of the extra torque created by the 1.9 engine over the 1.6 ?,and obviously the 2.0 ltr engines do not need this because of the cast iron block.

Tris.

;)

richystran

thanks for the replies lads im going out to the garage shortly to have a look, i reckon that the spacer plate is missing off the car i bought but there still is one on the other engine and we just over looked it or just didnt notice it!

Ill keep you's updated.

Sign in to follow this