• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mickie

Oil Leak

mickie

i fitted a re-build gearbox about 2 weeks ago and pretty much since then i've had an oil leak, im not 100% sure but i dont think its engine oil..

im just stuck on where its coming from on the gearbox, i think it may be coming from the diff, the seals that the drifeshafts go into.. but ive had it funning on axel stands and nothing came out.. but it might at high speeds ? anyway its cold and i cant be ased to take things apart unless i know for sure its them..

what does it look like to you ?

cheers

DSCF0005-2.jpg

DSCF0004-3.jpg

DSCF0003-3.jpg

DSCF0002-4.jpg

DSCF0001-3.jpg

PUGugly

Generally speaking oil leaks down wards so look for the highest pont of the leak and work from there (bear in mind tho that if it is dripping onto a belt it will spray upwards, sideways and all over!!)

Don't know from the pictures what to suggest, but the reason you may not have seen any oil leaking out when it was on the axle stands could be that all the oil has already leaked out! Leaving none left in the box |(watch out or the box siezing up whilst driving! Happened to me on a ZX9R motorbike, s*it did it hurt!!

Gear box oil (especially used oil) Smells really different from engine oil (reminds me a bit if stale cat piss!! nice!!) So get your nose to the oil and see if it is box oil!!

Good luck mate!

jim21070

Leaking like a good 'un that's for sure...

It looks very much like the diff/driveshaft seals. Prove it's gearbox oil by smelling it. If it is sickly sweet and makes you feel sick and reminds you of cats p then it's gearbox oil.

Ensure your driveshafts are 100% fully home. They can leak like billy-oh if not. In any case, the seals are easy to change and cheap. They're different each side.

EDIT: PUGugly, I reckon we were both typing at the same time, I hit submit and saw you saying much the same. Sorry!!

On a lighter note, you're well rustproofed now with all that oil floating around ;)

Edited by jim21070

mickie

rust proof but not gearbox proof.. im thinking oil is coming out of the diff now and spraying up off the driveshaft.. but im not sure how its gone all the way to the other side of the engine,/ bottom engine mount..

their is oil in the gearbox tho, but it'll be getting low.. also seems to stop leaking so much when im not driving.. sound like driveshaft seals ?

mickie

miles fitted new diff seals and again it only leaks when i drive..

could it be the driveshaft isnt in all the way ? :S

mickie

as it only leaks when ya driving have you never thought it could be your oil temp sensor above your gearbox ?

that would explain a leak while driving !!

i bet you're happy there is people like me on the forum to help you out

Edited by mickie

pug_ham
as it only leaks when ya driving have you never thought it could be your oil temp sensor above your gearbox ?

The oil temp sender isn't above the gearbox. :D

Its the hex next to the lower mount with the wire coming off in the picture below you posted earlier below.

DSCF0005-2.jpg

Graham.

mickie

oil pressure sensor ? its the one next to the water temp sensor right?

vkl.jpg

pug_ham

Oil pressure sender is at the front of the block just inside the alternator.

3822sensors.jpg

Both sensors in the picture above are for the cooling system, temp sender for the guage & temp warning switch for if you are over heating.

Neither should leak oil anyway.

Graham.

mickie

im totally confused now.. i had the car running for 30 minutes and i could have swore there was engine oil coming out of it but ive just took the leaking sensor out now and water came out..

oil oil, where are you.. im cracking up over this..

well me and a friend had a taste of the oil and we both think its engine oil now

futura

Is your dizzy full of oil? unlikely by the look of how oil spalshed everywhere but could it be a dead dizzy o'ring?

Grim.Badger
well me and a friend had a taste of the oil and we both think its engine oil now

I'd put money on it coming from either the dizzy seal or the dipstick then, if I had any money that is.

futura

dipstick sounds more like it yes :)

mickie
Is your dizzy full of oil? unlikely by the look of how oil spalshed everywhere but could it be a dead dizzy o'ring?

the dizzy o ring doesnt look that good no but i dont think its leaking, but i havent had a proper good look of that yet.. i'll have another look after ive been for a drive..

i know for sure there is oil running down from the top of the diff.. :)

on a pluss side i set up all my shims right yesterday and the car is running nice :)

Grim.Badger

A new dizzy o-ring is about 30p from peugeot so worth replacing anyway, and a dipstick is £10 from GSF (genuine OE as well) including postage. It's surprising how much oil you can lose past the dipstick.

ablister
a dipstick is £10 from GSF (genuine OE as well) including postage. It's surprising how much oil you can lose past the dipstick.

Did you price up a dipstick from peugeot, cheaper than £10...

Grim.Badger
Did you price up a dipstick from peugeot, cheaper than £10...

I thought they were about £8, same as GSF as the postage is quite expensive (comes in a huge cardboard tube with loads of bubblewrap).

mickie

dip stick seems to be ok..

drgsggfgfjjj.jpg

DSCF00031ygk.jpg

im guessing you have to seal these up :DB) .. ive used loctite..

the leaks have stopped i think.. i'll just keep an out out to see if its stopped..

i thought at the time it would be sealed with the rocker cover seal.. <_<

cheers for the help guys

pug_ham

The Cam caps don't need sealing individually afaik, they are machined with the head & head specific. The cam cover gasket should keep the oil inside but is yours new?

NickR had an eternal leak from his after the rebuild & I don't think he fixed it before it was sold but he tried new gaskets & cover all to now avail. ;)

Glad you seem to have fixed it but do you know what did fix it?

Graham.

mickie
The Cam caps don't need sealing individually afaik, they are machined with the head & head specific. The cam cover gasket should keep the oil inside but is yours new?

NickR had an eternal leak from his after the rebuild & I don't think he fixed it before it was sold but he tried new gaskets & cover all to now avail. :D

Glad you seem to have fixed it but do you know what did fix it?

Graham.

ive just had a quick look and there is no oil dripping down or hanging about the sump or gearbox now..

so sealing up these camshaft end caps ? if that is there name, has seems to work..

i've re-built my engine and had the cam off a few times trying to fix my tappy engine.. hopefully thats fixed..

but they definitely were leaking oil.. there must be a pretty high pressure going through the caps and it didnt help me putting nice engine oil in after my 500 mile running in period..

there must be hair line gaps between the rocker cover seal camshaft end caps and the Camshaft oil seal..

jim21070

The very ends of the two outermost cam caps (i.e. the bits nearest the oil seals) should have a light smear of sealant on their faces to prevent oil seeping away to the outside world. I have used a smear of blue Hylomar in the past quite successfully.

The faces of the cam caps and the mating head surface need to be scroupulously clean. It is easy to leave a lump of the original sealant there with the result that the cap does not "sit" completely down. In loosening the nuts to apply loctite you may well have disturbed it enough to either move the old sealant out of the way or get the caps back just in the right place so they no longer weep.

Yes, there is a good bit of pressure and a surprising amount of oil floating around the top-end. leaks, even small ones, will make a fine old mess

mickie

cheers for that, yeah any oil makes a mess.. im not too fussed about any small ones as on my way back home tonight there has been a fu*%ing load of oil p*%sing out..

the camshaft oil seal has popped out.. bloody no luck..

ontop of that i was going round a left turn at 50mph.. you can normally take it at 60mph.. anyway the car torque steered and it span me 360 degrees..

i feel like this guy at the mo

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...mshaft+oil+seal

well not as bad, just a little..

Edited by mickie

mickie

anyone ever done this before ?

its to stop the camshaft oil seal poping out..

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

pug_ham
anyone ever done this before ?

its to stop the camshaft oil seal poping out..

No, with the right new seal you shouldn't need it imo.

Graham.

davev

just a thought. wont that spin on the cam? and rip the seal apart. :)

Sign in to follow this