• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Anton green

Lpg Forced Induction

Anton green

From what I have read if you run lpg and quite like performance, you should be running a higher compression ratio. Also, if you use forced induction you should run a lower compression ratio.

I currently have a vauxhall vectra dualfuel along with my 205 Mi, which I have been thinking of converting to lpg for a while, and supercharging using a BMW mini supercharger and fabricated parts/brackets etc. I'm thinking that if I do both I could spend the money which I would have used on forged pistons (to lower the compression ratio) on some LPG conversion parts instead and have the best of both worlds??

What do people think of this reasoning, and would the compression of a 1.9MI engine be suited to running lpg along with supercharged induction?

Thanks, Anton

Guest BrainFluid

I'll be following this thread with interest.

From what Ive heard a turbo really suits lpg. But Ive also heard that its technically a bit more destructive/dangerous if you have a back fire into the induction sytem (more air piping so more gas to explode) I read it will blow the bonnet upwards instead of just blowing the air filter housing up.

When you think about it though forced induction itself *kind of increases* compression because more air fuel mixture is being forced into the cylinders to begin with, which may be why they say lpg loves turbo.

EDIT: Oh yeah, thats probably why a petrol turbo likes a lower compression ratio than usual. Its to balance out the higher compression effect that a turbo has to keep the relative compression ratio the same. Ha.

Edited by BrainFluid

Anton green

I realise this has probably not been done, so would someone like to discuss the theory of it with me?

Sign in to follow this