• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tagy

How Can You Remove This Piece

tagy

I got a new bearing pressed into a hub, but the old splined part was too worn to reuse. I had a spare hub so knocked the splined part out of that to put in the new bearing. However part of the bearing is stuck to the splined part? how can I remove it? or is it a garage job?

onjapcxs.jpg

Tidy_Andy

i carefully take most of the material away with an angle grinder an then spilt the remaining part with a cold chisel.

sonofsam

The splined part you talk of is the hub, the bearings get pressed into the hub carrier:)

I would try a knife edge puller on that, before you resort to an angle grinder!

lagonda

As the bearing race is very hard it will also be very brittle. This should mean that a sound whack from a club hammer and old chisel at right angles to the edge of the race will split it. The hub itself will be softer so wouldn't be damaged.

Another method: it may not be obvious because of dirt, but the outer edge of the race (ie the face touching the flange) will be radiused. You can use a knife-edge bearing puller on this, or use a hammer and old flat screwdriver blade: hold the blade in the radiused area & tap firmly, repeating on alternate sides. DON'T keep hammering away on one side. Once you see daylight beginning to appear between the flange & bearing, you should be able to lever the components apart with a couple of large flat bladed screwdrivers.

j_turnell

Often had to use the grinder when ive done it before, or cut two grooves in it so the puller has something to grip on too.

tagy

cheers people, got it off after attacking it with the grinder..

onjqrauv.jpg

put a small nick in the hub but I think thats ok, just a bit of a scratch.

Now do you think I can hit the hub into the bearing myself? the garage will do it but that would be next week.

Edited by tagy

Tidy_Andy

I cant see the problem with using an angle grinder so long as you dont damage the hub itself. Which is why i always split the remaining part with a chisel. A small surface graze wont cause you any problems IMO.

I wouldnt suggest beating the hub into the bearing with a hammer. Its the sure fire quickest way to knacker a brand new bearing ;) Either push it into place with a vice and a socket on the inner race or if your unsure take it to another garage. Its a 30 second job for them.

Sign in to follow this