• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
peapea

Brown Multiplug Wiring

scumbag

It wasnt there at all. Oh well. It can only be a good thing

To sort it out I bunged a starter from the scrapper on there. Used bit of emery paper to fully clean all the contacts on starter and on end of wires. The blue wire was a bit loose so cut it back to clean copper then new connector and plugged it all together, then on the wires going to battery I removed and then chopped back and rejointed to battery terminal.

Doesnt sound as powerful as previous starter, but maybe it because it's off a 1.6 and is also smaller in size. I dont know. Works a beauty though.

Also spoke to a mate who had a 1.9 and he says he had the bouncy idle problem. After cleaning all the air hoses (providin SAD working fine) and the AFM, he fully cleaned the inlet valve??? and the rest of the throttle body. he said it was something to do with the afm being dirty and the idles dropping as basically engine suffocating. dubious as to his reasoning but hey, worth a go!

pug_ham
. Couldnt find the multiplug when i looked anyway!

What year is your car? Older ones (pre 1989ish) don't all have the brown multiplug which could explain why you can't find it.

I recently replaced the wire from the multiplug to the solenoid on mine ater checking through the wiring to see how far I was getting 12v.

It was only the final length from the plug to the starter was causing all my problems so since replacment its been fine. ;)

Graham.

scumbag

1988 so that could explain it!!! Its all behaving itself now. I'm just going down the scrapper as they just got a gti in in white so I'm gonna go pike some bits! cheers

DirtyFlare
So is that 2.5mm dia multistrand?

Sorry, I just want to be sure so I can get it all ready today!

There are seven wires through the multiplug.

Graham.

So if i order the 6 way 1.5mm superseal connector do i need to order the 2.8mm single connector too for the start solenoid?

So male and female one of these --- http://www.simtekuk.co.uk/10271/info.php?p...ch=&sought=

and

male and female one of these --- http://www.simtekuk.co.uk/10271/info.php?p...ch=&sought=

if someone could confirm this it would be greatly appriceated!

welshpug

yes

you also need a ratchet crimping tool

petesy71

after reading this i decided to get myself some superseal connectors.

i was in touch with simtek uk yesterday, and they now have a drop down menu when ordering, so you can get items sent by standard post.

i ordered the connectors yesterday and they arrived today, postage to ni was £1. i have to say they were very helpful, service was excellent and i cant wait to fit these.

Trick
yes

you also need a ratchet crimping tool

Whats the difference between this tool and a normal crimping tool?

M_R_205

wow what a great website!, i was going to d the whole cut oput the multiplug and crimp in some spade connectors thinking this was the best way, think il order one of these now :P whats the best way to connect tot the sensors though, iv got spade clips with tape atm, probably not the best idea....

pug_ham
Whats the difference between this tool and a normal crimping tool?
The way it forms the crimp, the one you need has to fold the arm's of the terminals over & crimp them closed so it needs a different style of crimping tool.

I've checked all the ones we have at work (aircraft engineer) & we don't have any suitable for the terminals that come with the superseal connectors. :D

I really need to order one of the proper crimping tools as I've got four connectors to fit soon. Unless anyone already has one & would loan it out. :)

Graham.

Super Josh

Unfortunately no, that crimp tool is for the standard red, blue and yellow Lucar crimps. Although that ratchet tool will make an excellent quality crimp on those.

Josh

Trick

Can you show me a link for one, as i`ll need to purchase one... cheers :)

Grim.Badger
The way it forms the crimp, the one you need has to fold the arm's of the terminals over & crimp them closed so it needs a different style of crimping tool.

You can do it with the non-insulated crimping bit of one of these (the lower one)

wire_tools.jpg

But it's slow careful work. I used the concave bit to fold the arms around and then the convex part to form the crimp. It's a pain and doesn't do a perfect job but it can be done.

petesy71

just brought this up again as i found a couple of good pics of non insulated crimp tools that people might find useful. cheers, pete.

post-8735-1183909148_thumb.jpg

post-8735-1183909428_thumb.jpg

welshpug

thats the type, I didnt have a set so I just ordered a set at the same time as I got the superseal connectors from Simetek, I've used them a few times now as I chopped out the driving lamp's yellow connectors for some superseal ones, not a problem with them since :P

GLPoomobile
whats the best way to connect tot the sensors though, iv got spade clips with tape atm, probably not the best idea....

You can get some really fancy insulated terminals that once crimped on to the wire, you heat the terminal with a heat gun or naked flame and it has an adhesive inside that starts to flow when hot. The adhesive fills the gaps keeping the terminal snug on the wire and making it weather proof at the same time.

There is another variation on the theme that is filled with solder so you crimp it on and heat it and it solders itself.

I'll probably use these when I get cracking with my wiring soon.

welshpug

I just used Superseal connectors from Simetek, ratchet crimped on with rubber seals on the wires, reusable too :D

shame they're redundant now I've installed Mp3.1

Richie-Van-GTi

Ive just put my entire loom in with one connector as robbed from a PC, its the 20+4 connector. Got a male and female end then just crimped all the wires into it :D

GLPoomobile

I just thought I'd mention that I had my first bash at wiring up one of these Superseal connectors last night. I used one of the ratchet crimping tools that I got from Simtek at the same time as the connectors RATCHET CRIMPING TOOL

It's a bit fiddly at first but seems to do the trick. Had the hang of it by about the 3rd terminal. I'm really liking these Superseal connectors :lol:

Also thought I'd mention that I've used some insulated spade terminals from VWP that have glue inside. You crimp it like a normal terminal and then heat it up and the end shrinks like heat wrap and a glue inside mets too. This fills any gaps and gives a nice solid connection. Considering the meagre cost for these I'd highly recommend getting them over 'standard' insulated terminals as they look better, give a more robust connection and should keep out moisture too.

HEATSEAL TERMINALS

welshpug

they look damn cool! especially the solder sleeve ones, how coll are they!

ants1974

could anyone tell me where the wires go? by colour or pin number please. My mi16 loom came without the bit of loom that connects to the plug.

pug_ham
could anyone tell me where the wires go? by colour or pin number please. My mi16 loom came without the bit of loom that connects to the plug.

Do any of the posts in this topic help?

Graham.

Sign in to follow this