• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jacobs53

Engine Paint?

jacobs53

Hi, Im rebuilding an EW engine next week and wondered what type of paint people use???

I have seen the VHT silver paint in a spray and brush on form... But not sure which would be better?

And how well prepared does the engine block need to be, to enable the paint to adhere correctly?

Cheers lee

welshpug

paint is much better, spraying is rather expensive!

ideally the block needs to be steam cleaned but a good scrubbing with gunk and a wipedown in a warm kitchen :D is good enough, I bought my last tin from motorworld when I rebuilt my sister diesel Ibiza, and 3 yars on it still looks good and its actually helped it stay clean :(

PICT0102.jpg

you cant actually see much in the pic but the head is silver and the block blue, and everything is generally pretty clean and free of gunk :D

smckeown

engine enamel is what you want. Any other form of paint will not look as good over time of be as easy to clean up. It's a pain to apply though, many layers needed etc

engine_ready.jpg

Ryan

I used engine enamel too and was very pleased with the result. The local motor factors had both brush-on and spray cans. I used the spray, but only because they didn't have the colour I wanted in brush-on. If I had to do it again I'd go for the brush-on every time.

Edited by Ryan

pacey205

And contrary to the others I went for the cheap and cheerfull route of Hammerite. Done a good 4/5K now and it still looks as good as it did.

engineonhoist8my.th.jpg

img12476ch.th.jpg

Michael

Edited by pacey205

smckeown
And contrary to the others I went for the cheap and cheerfull route of Hammerite. Done a good 4/5K now and it still looks as good as it did.

engineonhoist8my.th.jpg

img12476ch.th.jpg

Michael

what's it like when you wipe the block though ? does it come off or mart ?

Martin@PRD

I highly recommend Sperex engine Enamel, just makes sure once you have washed down the block/head that you quickly go back over it with a wire brush on a end of a drill as some cleaning solvents leave a film that paint cant penetrated and end up flaking off over time.

100_7522.jpg

100_7439.jpg

100_7225.jpg

100_5817.jpg

100_6257.jpg

j_turnell

Used 5 wheel steel on my 8v block and a year or so later is still looking good. Used 2pac in Sorrento on my mi block yet to see if it will take the heat B)

2_G.sized.jpg

max0

I used engine enamle from frost. Got loads left. Not sure how it will stand up to the test of time as still re building. Andy

post-7868-1165677939_thumb.jpg

pacey205

Sean its fine when wiped down etc, hasnt flaked or marked yet. Same deal with my calipers which where also done with hammerite.

Michael

t16ryan

i done my engine in hammerite brush on ( silver ) and its as good as when i put it on 18months after B) not flaked at all ;)

jacobs53

Seems like any paint is suitable then!

Just have to decide spray or brush on...

lee

credowan

Looking great lads

them engines look mint martin top wrk

Gary

ashley peddle

radiator paint... £3 a tin :)

picture424yu2.jpg

Sign in to follow this