• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
smckeown

Overfueling -> Bore Wash -> Blow By -> Crankcase Pressurisati

Sandy

It's not always the case, but usually the fuel duration curve largely reflects the torque curve.

smckeown
It's not always the case, but usually the fuel duration curve largely reflects the torque curve.

here's the torque comparison between the two. I know it's dodgy comparing figures from 2 different rollers, but it is the case the torque is noticably down on the mikeanics map and hotter cam

torque_greenald_vs_mikeanics.gif

So if both these maps had identical fuel maps, would this case the car to now run significantly rich ? I would have thought so thinking about it now

Sean

Sandy

Do you have the maps?

Miles

Silly question, but what Pistons are liner's are you using

smckeown
Silly question, but what Pistons are liner's are you using

New karl schmidt 1.6 pistons and used honed OE liners

Sandy

Can't get the second map Sean?

Sandy

Looking at the Mikeanics map, Load site 14 makes sense, but 13 and 15 don't, maybe it was sitting on load site 14 at full throttle. The mid range/part throttle fuelling appears to be as much as full throttle for alot of the sites, which would certainly make for rich running there. Don't take this as criticism, the beauty of fully mappable fuelling and ignition is that you can overcome odd spots by playing with the values.

Downloaded but can't read the Grenauld map.

smckeown
The mid range/part throttle fuelling appears to be as much as full throttle for alot of the sites, which would certainly make for rich running there.

Interesting. As I said thye fuel map was 100% the same for greenald and mikeanics. As we know it was making awesome torque at greenald's place, but not mikeanics...

Looking at the Mikeanics map, Load site 14 makes sense, but 13 and 15 don't, maybe it was sitting on load site 14 at full throttle.

It defo makes load site 15 at full throttle as i've tried it myself, plus you'd have to be a village idiot mapper not to spot that problem or rectify..

Downloaded but can't read the Grenauld map.

here's an alternative greenald map

thanks for looking...

Mattsav

Sort out the breathers as that wont be helping anything.

Then fit a wideband and let the ecu do its stuff - that the beauty of wideband control.

The ECU hasn't been altering the map as there are no corrections present.

Robsbc

Sean,

Trying to understand the history of your engine, when I sit back and think one thing comes to mind the amount of people who have had dealings with your engine in a very short period of time :-

1. Dave Baker built the lump.

2. GSR initially ran in your engine.

3. Steve Greenald maps the engine.

4. Matt from QEP to fit new spring and new cam.

5. Mike @ Mikeanics to remap engine.

Looking at the number who knows who to blame for all your issues?

Now there will be a 6th person Des Developments to sort out the above problems. Lets hope it's sorted for once and for all or will there be a 7th person to remap? :P

Sandy

Still can download it ok, but it comes up with an error when I try to open it.

smckeown
Still can download it ok, but it comes up with an error when I try to open it.

ah it always does that when reading a map using a higher software version than the map is saved from. It still imports all the values fine...it at least does when importing using a higher version of the software than it was saved from

Edited by smckeown

Sandy

Ah right, could you send me a screen save of the fuel table?

smckeown
Sean,

Trying to understand the history of your engine, when I sit back and think one thing comes to mind the amount of people who have had dealings with your engine in a very short period of time :-

1. Dave Baker built the lump.

2. GSR initially ran in your engine.

3. Steve Greenald maps the engine.

4. Matt from QEP to fit new spring and new cam.

5. Mike @ Mikeanics to remap engine.

Looking at the number who knows who to blame for all your issues?

Now there will be a 6th person Des Developments to sort out the above problems. Lets hope it's sorted for once and for all or will there be a 7th person to remap? :P

1 Dave doesnt install engines or buld race prepped cars

3 Steve is one of the best mappers in the country I believe

4 It broke down at Matt's so pretty obvious he might as wel fit it, or do you think oi should have removed the lump and sent it to the builder who by that time wouldnt even accept my emails ?

5 Steve G could not fit me in and i was deperate not to cancel another track day, so mikeanics could fit me in the day before anglesey

I am trying to blame no one, i'm just interested in what people think as to why things have happened ? Sopmeone (including myserlf) might actually learn something and stop this from hapenning again

Des was due to perform other work anyway such as install cam (QEP cant fit me in) and new exhaust (we are experimenting with a new one up there).

Sound like i'm not being rational ?

welshpug

all sounds pretty rational to me :P

has the head come off yet? hopefully the rich running hasn't caused to much damage but from your compression test results theres only one suspect cylinder.

Just out of interest what makes the new cam "wider" ?

more overlap, more lift or a combination of both?

I'm guessing either of the two would mean more air getting in but the resonant frequencies would have changed meaning a new map needed.

smckeown
all sounds pretty rational to me :P

has the head come off yet? hopefully the rich running hasn't caused to much damage but from your compression test results theres only one suspect cylinder.

Just out of interest what makes the new cam "wider" ?

more overlap, more lift or a combination of both?

I'm guessing either of the two would mean more air getting in but the resonant frequencies would have changed meaning a new map needed.

came has more lift and duration

no, car going up to des a week weds to perform all the relevant tests. I'll test injectors before it goes

you'll always need a new map, the ignition side has changed, but fieling the same.

from my perspective the new torque graph is significatly lower, indicating less air getting in the cylinder, and as fueling map the same it WILL (IMO) be running rich. Althjought as sandy says mikeanics may have been happy with it, i'll phone him next week. Actually thinking about it he does have a lambda for mapping as i remember him installing him. So how it wasnt showing rich during mapping i'll never know.

saveloy

I don't know whether this has been mentioned, but have you checked the injectors for spray pattern?

It is possible to have an equal flow from all four and still have one or more not atomising properly. Hence, a possible bore washing situation.

smckeown
I don't know whether this has been mentioned, but have you checked the injectors for spray pattern?

It is possible to have an equal flow from all four and still have one or more not atomising properly. Hence, a possible bore washing situation.

Thanks for the suggestion. I had the injectors profesionally reconditioned and they check for spray pattern. I'm wondering if the vauxhall cream's have a pattern that is not so good for 8vs ? I could go with the 8v/mi16 injector next time.

Anyway, as soon as I get the injector o ring replaced, i'll test the injectors for volume and spray. As per here i'm ready to test. The KMS ECU allows you to test the injectors, as per here:

The option enables the injector output to be tested. A pulsating test lasts 1 minute, during which the injectors are activated for periods of 10 milliseconds, alternating with rest periods of 10 milliseconds.

During a continuous test the injectors are continuously active for 1 minute

injector_testing.jpg

saveloy

If the Vauxhall injectors are from a 16 valve engine, then it is quite possible they are not good for your engine.

Do you know if the have a split spray? If so, the spray may be aiming at your inlet walls, rather than atomising properly down the inlet tracts.

What are the spark plugs saying?

smckeown
If the Vauxhall injectors are from a 16 valve engine, then it is quite possible they are not good for your engine.

Do you know if the have a split spray? If so, the spray may be aiming at your inlet walls, rather than atomising properly down the inlet tracts.

What are the spark plugs saying?

But what about the pug injectors, used on 8 and 16v engines ? Also as they are used in TBs wouldn't it make less difference as to the spray pattern vs. being injected closer to the inlet ?

Maybe I should go back to the pug injectors...

Plugs are blacker than a black thing

saveloy

Early Mi16 injectors were similar to the 8 valves. But the later types were a split spray design, more suited to the 16 valve. Since then16 valve engine had a split inlet, these injectors make more sense, since they are more accurate at spraying and atomising down the individual inlet tracts.

Your plugs tell the full story really. They are richer than a Russian football club owner.

You need a set of injectors intended for an 8 valve. The correct flow and good atomisation. I use a set of Rover 220 turbo injectors and have no issues.

Sandy

Given how far up the inlet tract the injectors are mounted, the spray pattern of the Vauxhall cream injectors is academic IMO, also it's a cone fan spray pattern and not a 16v split on the ones I've had. I very much doubt the spray pattern is the issue.

smckeown
Early Mi16 injectors were similar to the 8 valves. But the later types were a split spray design, more suited to the 16 valve. Since then16 valve engine had a split inlet, these injectors make more sense, since they are more accurate at spraying and atomising down the individual inlet tracts.

Your plugs tell the full story really. They are richer than a Russian football club owner.

You need a set of injectors intended for an 8 valve. The correct flow and good atomisation. I use a set of Rover 220 turbo injectors and have no issues.

thanks for the feedback. I can see the benefit od a split pattern spray when you are injecting directly into the inlet, but I can't see the difference it would make injecting into a throttle body.

Anyone care to explain ?

I'll do some research regarding the high powered 8vs on here..

Sign in to follow this