• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ORB

Head Gasket Question

ORB

OK

After much deliberation, I have decided to go the turbo route on my standard 8v GTi

I plan to manufacture an exhaust manifold to take the turbo and an inlet manifold to run twin R5 GT Turbo carbs. (is that wise? is there any point?)

I then need to put a spacer in between the head and block to sort the compression issues? I know I am going to have to use 2 gaskets, but how thick does the plate have to be that is the filling in the butty?

Do i make the spacer out of stainless, or is there a better option?

What turbo would you go for? (was thinking R5 GT-T or some diesel blower)

Can you think of an Exhaust manifold that would be suitable to use as a base to minimise my work on building one?

Whats your thoughts gents?

Ryan

Aren't the R5 carbs downdraught? If so I think you'd have bonnet clearence problems.

The standard R5 turbo is a T2, which is tiny[/i]. It would probably become restrictive by about 4k RPM. Most diesels use quite small turbos too (compared to similar displacement petrol engines).

Rippthrough

A lot of diesel turbines aren't up to the right spec for a petrols EGT's either

ORB

cool

good feedback

keep it coming :D

Miles

Just run std compression, on the TT conversion it's fine and use injection as it's easier to map unless you really want a carb but there not very nice.

ORB

cool

so, what parts would you be looking for and any clues where to look?

thanks again :)

sonofsam
What turbo would you go for? (was thinking R5 GT-T or some diesel blower)

Hybrid T25 if you've got the bucks and dont want mega power or T3 if you want mega power and dont have the bucks!(as they are very common. Only drawback being lots of lag with the T3, but more fun when in comes on boost :P:)

Can you think of an Exhaust manifold that would be suitable to use as a base to minimise my work on building one?

This has been discussed quite a few times I think, a search should bring up a few ideas, but to be truthfull, dont think many have found an ideal DIY starter solution, may be wrong, but...

TT copy manifold from 205parts, wich is what I have and is bloody lovely BTW, or Dp engineering one , or start from scratch:)

ORB

ok, so i can find DP Engineering, but I cant find 205parts

Am I blind?

(must say, they look a little pricey for me :) )

ORB

A tad on the pricey side to me..

Thinks I am gonna have to use my brain again and make some stuff....

What cars can I rob a turbo off that would suit?

What would you do for an inlet? Filter into AFM into Turbo into Intercooler into Throttle Body?

Can I keep standard injection?

Any other hints would be top banana :)

sonofsam

Just rob an engine out of a 406 :)

Edited by sonofsam

ORB

had thought about that, but I like the standard 1.6 engine.

and its all there just awaiting a few bolt on bits me thinks :)

Guest BrainFluid
A tad on the pricey side to me..

The manifold will be the most crutial part that would be worth spending money on new, it will be the only part that you will have to fabricate unlike a turbo etc. Do 205parts not do a discount for us lot then? Tell them they should do seen as you were put onto them from here. (worth a try)

Not that I'm suggesting you, like, just have to have one of these, just that its worth thinking about. I bet they hold their value.

sonofsam
had thought about that, but I like the standard 1.6 engine.

and its all there just awaiting a few bolt on bits me thinks :rolleyes:

Like I said, get a 406 T. engine ( £200-£300 ) Take all the good bits off ( Turbo+Manifold+Management ) and strap it your 1.6 engine, and sell the Turbo block and head

..If that's not cheap enough for you, well then Im sorry, im out of ideas and your not thinking realistically :)

ORB

Thats what i wanted to hear!

So, i am taking it that all the bits and bobs off the 206 will bolt onto my 1.6?

Exactly what is involved in the swap?

Is it a total nightmare?

I dont mind spending money, but I would rather not!

lol

Cheers

ORB

sonofsam

Yes everthing I sighted will bolt straight on ( from the 406), with exception of the inlet manifold ( that's why I didn't mention it;)

Plus you will need to tap the block/sump for an oil return.Also water for the turbo.

re-angle exhaust downpipe, and wire in all the management.

The sale of the block+head may bag you enough for nice IC set-up:)

Best off speaking to Henry Yorke as He had this done to his low comp 1.9 or have a search as Im sure he mentioned how his was done.

BTW, there has been a 2.0L turbo engine on ebay for about 6 months now, with a starting bid of £300, i would offer him £200 cash, see what he says :rolleyes:

ORB

Cool

So, if the induction off the 406 cannot be used, then the original must be left.

Do i need to much about with the ignition or can I just stick with the Bosch injection from the GTi?

Whats the crack?

I cant find a whole lot in the search.

Cheers for your help and patience. :rolleyes:

sonofsam

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...=59997&st=0

The search has tonnes, dont lie ...Even seen topics on "how to turbo a 1.6" :P

But basically use the 406 management/ECU/injectors/coil pack on the 205 inlet manifold/throttle body. Say goodbye to the AFM and say hello to a MAP ( manifold absolute pressure ) sensor and ICV ( Idle control valve )

Im sure it will make a bit more sense once you've seen some pics/info of Henrys :)

This could work out really cheap for you B) Only downside being a possible 'locked' ECU with the engine you buy!

Edited by sonofsam

ORB

Ohhh

Its all getting abit clearer now :D

Is it easy to sort the electronics?

(getting to grips with the search function now too :( )

Sign in to follow this