• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jrod

Which Standard Backbox?

Jrod

I Have broken a few 205's and have 2 different types of exhaust. A oval one and a round one.

Does it make much difference which is fitted power/noise wise?

Is either known to be better the other etc?

I'm sure I saw something about this before but I can't find it now.

Cheers

Ahl

The exhaust shape shouldn't make much too much difference.

What is more important is the exhaust internals, what kind of baffles it uses, reflective type or absorbtion, whether the dimensions are good or same as standard, whether the pipes are the right size etc.

Arvin have previously been said to make good quality OE design exhausts and gave good power figures compared to others.

I think someone cut one up to compare to an OE part and found it to be the same design. (Reflective type and same dimensions if I remember rightly).

Other exhausts like Bosal etc were quite different internally.

Its often said that the OE backbox, Arvin and Magnex are the best for power, with others not performing so well (for the GTI's anyway, including mi16 conversion).

The Magnex possibly liberates a couple more HP than the others, but at the expense of increased noise.

My ever-so-slightly ported 1.9 made 110bhp (about 134hp@fly) with a full Arvin exhaust. Can't complain. :D

I like the way it looks very ordinary and isn't overly noisey, but has a nice sound.

richsmells

I just had an arvin backbox delivered today with new clamp and rubbers. I've not been home yet to see it. I shall have a go at fitting it on Saturday. Just hope this one doesn't fall off in the mean time.as it has a nice crack in the bit between the olive join and the backbox. :D

Sign in to follow this