• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
lagonda

Sump: Oil Pick-up

lagonda

Have taken my oil pump off to check it over whilst I've got the opportunity. Some clown previous owner/"professional" has jacked the car under the sump, denting that AND the oil pick-up. I've taken the dent out of the sump (with a jack ... poetic justice ... and a hammer ... that felt good).

The oil pick-up is one half of the pump casting, with 2 steel pressings at the suction end, held in place by swaged tabs. To take the dent out of the pressing it was easiest to dismantle it, so used a screwdriver to prise the tabs back; it's not necessary to lever all of them, I left those along the straight side as they were. As you prise it apart you'll find the perforated section is a separate tin pressing.

The amazing thing is the amount of crap, lumps, flakes of crud built up between the two, some of it quite free. OK it would eventually hit the main filter, but it wouldn't do the pump rotors much good on the way. This was all the more surprising because the sump on this car has always been the cleanest inside of any car I've ever owned.

So, next time you've got the sump off, check it out...the pump's only held on with 3 bolts.

Grim.Badger

I second that, mine was almost completely clogged with stings of sealant ;)

Sign in to follow this