• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rally Slag

205 And 309 Front Springs

Rally Slag

just a quick question, are the 205 and 309 front springs the same springs? basicly can i fit a the springs from my 205 to my 309 or vica versa?

Ahl

The fitment is the same, yes, but the 309 springs are slightly harder and may also be slightly longer, im not sure.

You should find the information with a search.

jackherer

I found that 309 GTI springs lowered a 205 GTI slightly.

pug_ham
I found that 309 GTI springs lowered a 205 GTI slightly.

Me too, they are 30mm shorter in free length also than the 205 GTi ones.

I fitted 309 GTi springs to my STDT in place of some 205 GTi springs & the difference was really minimal, maybe 10mm maximum.

Graham.

Chris H

i've cross referenced some of the 205 springs and 309 springs asnd found that some of them are the same and fitted on both models.

No idea what models each spring is fitted to though!...sorry thats not too much help!

Rally Slag

reason i wanted to know really was cause i got some 50mm lowering springs for my 205 and i wana stick them on my 309. just wanted to know if it would be ok or if i should buy another set from somewere that were made for the 309. if i do does anyone know a place that sell 50mm springs for a 309?

CTI STU

Ive just brought some 60mm springs off a diesel for my cti, anyone know if they will still lower it 60mm??

pug_ham
Ive just brought some 60mm springs off a diesel for my cti, anyone know if they will still lower it 60mm??

Probably not imo, the diesel engine is considerably heavier so the spring rate will be different to allow for this.

The diesel springs I've removed before were about 80mm longer than the GTi ones I fitted but there was only 30-40mm difference in ride height once the GTi springs were fitted.

Graham.

Rally Slag

what about my question :)

Ahl

The 205/309 won't be much different in weight over the front end, so I'd guess that it'd be fine.

Except that -50mm springs will make it handle awfully of course.

Rally Slag
The 205/309 won't be much different in weight over the front end, so I'd guess that it'd be fine.

Except that -50mm springs will make it handle awfully of course.

really? i seen loads of pics of gtis on here with the front end slammed down so the wheels are nearly touching the arches. why would it handle awful?

I only wana do it really for looks, i love the way the car handles, im not trying to make it handle better, but i dont wana make it handle worse, basicly i just wana drop the front end and keep the handling the same

pug_ham
I only wana do it really for looks, i love the way the car handles, im not trying to make it handle better, but i dont wana make it handle worse, basicly i just wana drop the front end and keep the handling the same

A drop of about 30-40mm is the most you want then.

Have a read right though This topic as most of the reasons are expalined in there for why you don't want to go to low & how it can ruin the handling if you do.

Graham.

Rally Slag

ok then, think i will go for a set of 40mm eibach front springs.

just out of curiousty (i did read that other post, lots to read and very interesting) has anyone actualy lowerd there car 50mm, how bad is the handling?

jackherer

I've driven 205s lowered 50-60mm, they tend to be very skittish and the slightest bump or imperfection in the road will change your course forcing you to constantly correct the steering.

the gauge for lowering the front of a 205 is the wishbones, make sure they dont end up higher at the hub end than the subframe end, they should be no further than horizontal (which happily is about where they end up with a 35-40mm drop).

Rally Slag

Ok does sound like a better idea to use the 35-40mm springs. Can anyone recomend a good set of 40mm springs that actualy lower the car 40mm? trouble i had when lowering the front of my AX was that none of the springs actualy lowerd the car to how much they was ment to lower it. Want a decent set of 40mm springs now

jackherer

eibach or skip brown have the best reputations.

Rally Slag

do skip browns have a website? i did a search on yahoo for skip brown cars but nothing came up?

and looked on a few sites that sell eibach springs and can only find 30mm ones, do eibach actualy do 40mm ones? if so where can i find them?

thanks for all the help

Edited by Rally Slag

jackherer

dont think so, no.

you can phone them on 01829 720492

Sign in to follow this