• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
smighall

Opening Sunroof With Vacuum?

smighall

I'm trying to remove my sunroof so i can plate over it, but cannot slide the glass back to remove it. I'm assuming this is because my vacuum resevoir is empty as it isn't connected up on my gti6 engine.

Has anybody got any clever ideas how i can deflate the seal to enable me to slide the glass back and out of the runners? The engine isn't running at the moment so i can't hook up a temp vacuum to the resevoir ;)

ORB

Dyson and some tape?

newdean0

Might help but you'd still need some force:

Open sunroof valve.

Heat seal with hot air gun/hair dryer from inside.

Close sunroof valve.

Let it cool

pug_ham

They will slide with no vacuum but it takes quite a lot of force. :)

I've got very little vacuum in mine & thats still connected as I pulled one of the hoses off accidentally & its never recharged since. ;)

Get a decent size bike pump & connect the hose (reservoir to seal side) to the pump & then draw the handle ready to blow. Might work if the pump is one of the floor standing ones.

Graham.

steve@cornwall
I'm trying to remove my sunroof so i can plate over it, but cannot slide the glass back to remove it. I'm assuming this is because my vacuum resevoir is empty as it isn't connected up on my gti6 engine.

Has anybody got any clever ideas how i can deflate the seal to enable me to slide the glass back and out of the runners? The engine isn't running at the moment so i can't hook up a temp vacuum to the resevoir ;)

Must be someone nearby with a running pug and a length of hose/

jackherer
Must be someone nearby with a running pug and a length of hose/

or pretty much any running car (with the possible exception of diesel citroens!)

steve@cornwall
or pretty much any running car (with the possible exception of diesel citroens!)

1999 306 GTI6: 17" SuperLeggera's, Tints, ecosse rear spoiler, colour coded, k&n, Peugeot sport grp-n exhaust, decat, 406 Brembo 4 pots

Reckon that would do! :D:D

Gentrix

you can open the roof, without a working vakuumseal, but you can´t, if the handlegrip doesn´t draw at the lockingmechanism. Hard to explain for me.

It´s a wire, like on Bikebrakes, you have to pull it, to release the mechanism, which sits right behind the backside, underneath the glass.

2C84C01A.gif

No. 20/14 - releases No. 3 and 4.

Edited by Gentrix

smighall

Got it out today. It ended up being the cable that was not releasing properly. So just grabbed holdof it with a pair of plyers and yanked it then pushed the glass back.

Thanks for the suggestions guys :D

Hilgie

I have opened it succesfully a few times by just creating a vacuum with your mouth (ie sucking it :rolleyes: )

Sign in to follow this