• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
timmsy19

Rear Brake Pipe Lines.

timmsy19

hi guys im putting this up as me and my brother(bitchass 205) are planing on putting a 1.9Gti rear beam on his 1.6gti.

now we have strpped the replacement beam down ready to fit on the car and put new brakes and suspension items.

what we might struggle with is putting the new brake lines on and converting to the 1.9 disks from the drums.

can anyone help or point us in the right direction??

sonofsam

I think most of what you need to see is There I have more pics if needed :o

Sam.

timmsy19

thanks Sam thats great stuff. will let you know about pics

timmsy19

right couple of days to go before we try and sort out the rear beam convertion on my brothers 1.6gti.

ive been looking at the rear beam swapping guide and the posts above, im getting confused.

can anyone explain it a little further.

also what parts are we going to need to do the full lot apart from dampers discs pads and the usual.

im thinking a rear beam mounting kit and new bushes? anyone know what is included in the beam mounting kit?

GLPoomobile

If the existing 'sandwhich' mounts are shot - these are the fat lumps of rubber with a bolt out of the top and bottom that sit between the beam and boot floor at the back - the definately replace them. Only a few quid new from Peugeot. You could swap to solid beam mounts but whilst the rears are easy, the front can be a f***ing swine to remove :P

As for the brakes, you'll need 1.9 handbrakes cables. IIRC you need to leave the existing brake flexi pipes on the car, the ones that go over the beam (the one on passenger side is mounted to a T piece). If your 1.9 beam has the solid brake lines and rear flexis (the short ones from the caliper to the solid line) then leave them on the beam and it all mates up fine. This would be a good time to replace those rear solid lines though.

For future ref, if you ever want to go for braided lines then there isn;t a kit available for this set up as you need 6 flexi lines (as per the 1.9 kit), but a 1.9 kit won't match up as the 1.6 flexis that go over the beam (the ones I told you to leave on) are a different fitting. Something to do with a male to female fitment or something (can't remember :) ). So you'd have to get a custom set made up, but that is not difficult.

Edited by GLPoomobile

bren_1.3
For future ref, if you ever want to go for braided lines then there isn;t a kit available for this set up as you need 6 flexi lines (as per the 1.9 kit), but a 1.9 kit won't match up as the 1.6 flexis that go over the beam (the ones I told you to leave on) are a different fitting. Something to do with a male to female fitment or something (can't remember ). So you'd have to get a custom set made up, but that is not difficult.

try rally design if you want to make up your own braided flexis for the rear using m10 fittings, and call them to get reduced postage. that flat 8.50 standard charge is a b*stard.

bitchass 205

After a day of huffing and puffing........it still isn't done!!! DOH! i managed to get all the stuff i needed, except for rear flexis. Anyways got the car jacked up, wheels off, back box unhooked, it was only then that we realised that the back box had welded it self to the center section!! and the center section had no bracket securing it to the front section! :angry::P

Question is am i fooked? do i need a new exhaust?

Another question, does anyone fancy giving me a bit of help getting the replacement rear beam on :blush: , which i did mangae to fully reassemble!! with the help of my brother. :D:D

timmsy19

michael ive spoken to john and he said if you can get someone with a blow torch then it should heat it up enough to dry the rust and then it will pull off

timmsy19

another thing.......

how the bloody hell do we remove the spare wheel cage?

got the front bolt undone but the hindges at the back dont look like they come off

GLPoomobile

You just wiggle it around! One side comes out easily and then you twist and manouvre the other side until it slips out.

Alastairh

Yeah a good wiggle of the cage, and if you look carefully at the cage, i think its the right hand side, the hook is longer but it does come out.

The beam, get a trolley jack on the middle of beam, and manouver it up with your hands and feet. Its do able on your own if your feeling athletic.

What you doing master cylinder wise, keeping the 3 port 1.6 item?

bitchass 205
Yeah a good wiggle of the cage, and if you look carefully at the cage, i think its the right hand side, the hook is longer but it does come out.

The beam, get a trolley jack on the middle of beam, and manouver it up with your hands and feet. Its do able on your own if your feeling athletic.

for the moment yes, just connecting up the existing brake lines to the new erar calipers.

GLPoomobile

I found that trying to balance the beam with one jack a bit of a bastard. I used two, but sods law, my older one had leaked oil and so wouldn't lift. It was suffiecient to hold one side of the beam and balance things though.

Also, and I may be stating the damned obvious here, but when you come to fit the beam strip the discs and calipers off first. I tried to do it with them still on to save time, but the extra weight made it practically impossible to fit the beam on my own as it kept rotating down towards the ground. With the discs and calipers off it just about balances how you want it to.

timmsy19

typical you should say that as we we spent most of the day putting all the new stuff on the new beam.

bugger!!!

GLPoomobile

Yeah but it only takes 10 minutes or so to take the discs and calipers off again. I fannyed around for ages trying to line the frigging thing up because I was too stubborn to take the parts off, but I eventually had to admit defeat!

bitchass 205

Yes, annoyingly we spent all day refitting it, but, as you say, and as they're new items it won't take long, and it will give us a chance to grease everything up.

timmsy19

just noticed the sig. bacon & egg baps were great.

pug_ham
how the bloody hell do we remove the spare wheel cage?

There should be a small plastic clip that is above the forward hook on the drivers side. One side of the clip will usually snap when you try to unclip it but with this out it comes off easily, right hand side first.

Graham.

timmsy19

thanks peeps.

bitchass 205

Well, we finally did it. Me and my bro replaced my old knackered drum rear beam for a late 1.6 disc rear beam. All we have to do now is re-plumb the brakes, which doesn't look to be too difficult. I now feel as if i've turned a corner into actually knowing things about my car!! B)

Although i do have a couple more questions:

Does anyone know the part number for the brake hose which comes from the copper pipe to the caliper?

Does anyone know the size of the socket to remove the drum retaining nut?

Are there any merits to changing it to the 4 port 1.9 item?

There should be a small plastic clip that is above the forward hook on the drivers side. One side of the clip will usually snap when you try to unclip it but with this out it comes off easily, right hand side first.

Graham.

We found this, eventually, if this does brake and won't do back what are the alternatives to keeping the cage on the car?

Thanks

Michael

pug_ham
Does anyone know the part number for the brake hose which comes from the copper pipe to the caliper?
Pug part#;4806 50 FLEXIBLE HOSE. Here
Does anyone know the size of the socket to remove the drum retaining nut?
32mm, all rear hub nuts are the same size iirc.
Are there any merits to changing it to the 4 port 1.9 item?
The proper diagonal split system as Peugeot intended for the 1.9 GTi.
We found this, eventually, if this does brake and won't do back what are the alternatives to keeping the cage on the car?
A large cable tie.

Graham.

Grim.Badger
We found this, eventually, if this does brake and won't do back what are the alternatives to keeping the

My old diesel never had one and I haven't bothered replacing it on my GTi. Having had a good think about it I think it's fairly redundant unless you run without a spare wheel in the cage.

I put a 1.9GTi beam on my old diesel and just dropped the exhaust and moved it to one side rather than remove it as the back box refused to budge. I'd expect that in usual 205 sod lawness if you remove the backbox you'll never get it to seal again :angry:

You can get the beam up by youself with one jack; just line it up and push one sides front mounting up through the holes and get the nuts on for a couple of turns, then push the other side up and again put the nuts on for a couple of turns, then lift the rear mounts and put the bolts on and tighten it all up :huh: I did this with the discs and calipers on as well :wacko:

Sign in to follow this