• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
superhero

Engine Storage

superhero

I apologise in advance for the slightly daft question ;) , but i wondered whether people can recommend the best way of storing an engine? As my 1.9 Mi16 is going to be out of the car exposed to the air for say 6 months (locked but drafty garage).

The obvious thing i could think of was that cellophane wrap things like new engines and parts on pallet's come with...

Any better / tried and tested ideas?

Ryan

If it's only for 6 months then you can get away with doing very little.

Put a squirt of oil in each cylinder, and every 6 weeks or so take the plugs out and turn the crank with a spanner to make sure it doesn't seize up, and block up all the air/oil/water pipes with paper towels. It might also be worth taking the gearbox off to make sure the clutch doesn't corrode onto the flywheel.

superhero
If it's only for 6 months then you can get away with doing very little.

Put a squirt of oil in each cylinder, and every 6 weeks or so take the plugs out and turn the crank with a spanner to make sure it doesn't seize up, and block up all the air/oil/water pipes with paper towels. It might also be worth taking the gearbox off to make sure the clutch doesn't corrode onto the flywheel.

Thanks for that, excellent suggestions! Worryingly, i didn't think of turning the engine over... :o

nick

Mine was left in a similar situation for nearly a year and was in perfect condition when I stripped it.

The only thing I did was stuff rags into any holes to stop dirt getting in.

The crank was out but I never moved the pistons in the bores or turned the cams and as above, all looked like new a year later.

Nick

Edited by nick

Ryan
Worryingly, i didn't think of turning the engine over... :o

TBH it'd be fine if you didn't, but for the sake of 5 minutes every couple of weeks it's worth it, even if it's just for peace of mind. My engine sat on a stand in the garage for 4 months before I fitted it and everything was fine.

superhero

Thanks for the advice people, that's great :o

I got a little concerned after seeing the effects of leaving an engine outside for a few months...

mishu

If it's in a garage, then personally I'd probably just use some bubblewrap to .. well, wrap everything up.

But then again, I haven't stored any engines yet, and the one from the car I stripped is still laying next to the car. :o

Tony_205

coat it with WD40 and wrap it up with cling film. Stuff oily rags in any holes etc.. well worth it mate!

Guest BrainFluid

I wouldnt fancy wrapping it up in plastic as that will just keep any moisture trapped inside leading to rustyness, no?

Edited by BrainFluid

superhero
I wouldnt fancy wrapping it up in plastic as that will just keep any moisture trapped inside leading to rustyness, no?

Thanks guys. I have been thinking i will just stuff the ports and any un-connected pipe work, leaving the rest open to air. Might try the WD40 aswell. After all that would be the most similar to the normal storage in my engine bay...

Guest BrainFluid

Oh I'ld definatly cover the beast in WD40 though :D

Sign in to follow this