• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest georgerbrs

Gearbox Query

Guest georgerbrs

Hi there, I have recently bought a second hand gearbox to replace the (broken) one currently in my 1.9 205. The box is marked BE3 and is nearly identical but on closer inspection I noticed a few differences:

1. The plastic insert (circled green) is a different shape to that on my current box.

2. My current box does not have the hole (circled red) that the new one has.

3. The gear linkage (circled blue) on my current box is straight and as you can see, this one is curved.

Picture here : http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r86/geo...01646marked.jpg

Can anyone tell me what this gearbox is from?

Will it fit my 205 (91 reg)?

Thank you very much for your help.

George

Sandy

Looks like it's a 405 one. You can drive out the rollpin on the lever (blue) and swap it for the 205 one, then it's ready for action.

Edited by sandy309

Guest georgerbrs

Brilliant, thank you very much.

George

Guest georgerbrs

And another thing, are the ratio's the same?

S33GAV

Looks like an mi16 box to me. If it is (hopefully someone will confirm) then it's v.similar to a 1.6 box and nothing like a 1.9 box (In terms of ratios I mean).

Edited by S33GAV

Guest georgerbrs

Sounds promising, so it should have a shorter ratio than my 1.9 box? It wouldn't surprise me that it was an Mi16 box as the guy who sold me it had an Mi16 205. Can anybody confirm?

Gearbox also has '6FG' and 'TT' Printed on casting.

Thank you

George

Miles

It could be a Derv box thou, fitted to 306's etc, With that linkage on being fitted in a 205 is a complete load of *******

Does the TDC sensor hole look like if anything been in there? and what's the date stamp, you'll find this in the middle of a circle of dot's., Giving month (Dots) and year, I.E. 92

Ryan

Look at the holes for mounting the PAS pump bracket. They don't look like they've ever been used to me. So I'd guess it's not an mi16 box (unless it was from a 2.0)

Guest georgerbrs

The TDC sensor hole has been used, is the securing mechanism for the TDC sensor the same as on a 205? I can't find these dots with the date.....?

George

Miles

the dates on the flat bit just below the breather and inbetween the 2 bolt holes, Looks like around 93 ish, Odd as the speedo drive is correct as is the clutch arm,

But to make sure ytou can just take the Diff cover off and check the number stamped in the crownwheel

Guest georgerbrs

Thank you, i'll check the crownwheel tomorrow.

George

Sign in to follow this