• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Turbo7379

Do I Go 1.6 Or Mi16 ?

Turbo7379

I'm building a car to compete in a race series over here . I went to my first race meeting on Saturday in a standard car & was left for dead by most of the class apart from a Nissan Sunny :wacko: . The problem is that a 205 1.9 GTI is placed in the GT class :unsure: which is the next down from the open class & the regs allow some quick cars .

GT Class

Standard carb or fuel injection systems.

Engine management systems may have chip only conversions

Carburettored engines may have free choice of cam.

Cyl. Head ports or valves may not be oversized.

FWD Forced-induction cars limited to engines up to 1600cc (standard turbo)

RWD Forced-induction cars limited to single cam engines up to 2300cc (standard turbo).

4x4 transmission permitted on naturally aspirated engines only.

2WD cars with normally aspirated engines may have unlimited capacity but must have had a standard production power output of:

(Engines up to 2000cc)..not more than 175 Bhp

(Engines up to 3000cc)..not more than 225 Bhp

(Engines over 3000cc)..not more than 275 Bhp Engines of equal capacity may be transplanted from other models or manufacturers, provided that the transplanted unit complies with the limitations of the GT Class regs

Most of the front runners in the class are Sierras fitted with 2.9 V6's & an MR2 . I was grossly underpowered down the straights , though I could stay with them on the corners . I could fit the MI16 I have sitting in the shed but I was struggling for grip already exiting the bends so more power may not work . We are limited to standard road rubber & LSD's are banned unless fitted as standard to the car . I suspect the Sierras are running locked diffs as the rules allow that on RWD cars .

My other option is to fit a 1.6 GTI engine which would drop me down into the Sports hatch class , where the regs are a bit tighter & I would probably be a bit more competitive . This class was mainly made up of astras & they didn't seem too quick as I was out on track with them during practice .

So do I rebuild the MI lump or source a good 1.6 & fit that - opinions please .

Would another option be to fit a 1.6 crank & rods to the 1.9 & change it to a 1.6 , or is that feasible ?

Cheers ,

Turbo

chunkymonkey

hi turbo

if you choose to go the 1.6 route i dont think just changing the crank and rods would make a powerful engine.

im sure the 1.6 pistons give you higher compression.

i maybe wrong though gaz

Edited by chunkymonkey

WildCards

I think i'd go for the 1.6 myself, purely because I think a season or two in that first would be good experience, then maybe look at the faster stuff.

dee205

How about a 1.6 with an Mi16 head?

There's a bit of work in it but should give you some good results.

Damien

johnrobertgordon
hi turbo

if you choose to go the 1.6 route i dont think just changing the crank and rods would make a powerful engine.

im sure the 1.6 pistons give you higher compression.

i maybe wrong though gaz

I'm pretty sure the 1.6 pistons are identical to the 1.9 items. Its just the crank that gives a different stroke?

There are many options but I have been reading a lot recently of the TU 16v engines (is it TU? saxo vts/106 gti). The advantage of these engines is the lighter weight, 150bhp is not too difficult to reach and they are very rev happy.

hafslund

The 1.6 pistons and 1.9 130 hp pistons are similar. The 1.9 122 hp pistons have deeper dishes...

veloce200

looking at the regs i can't see how you could put an MI head or engine in when

"Cyl. Head ports or valves may not be oversized. " so you can't do much to the std head let alone change it. I would go 1.6. Much more likely to win something and every time you get ahead of someone in the class above that would be a good feeling.

TB_205GTI
The 1.6 pistons and 1.9 130 hp pistons are similar. The 1.9 122 hp pistons have deeper dishes...

Nope 1.6 pistons have flat tops, 1.9 pistons have a dish - not the same pistons.

Sign in to follow this