• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gavin Waddell

Trailing Arm

Gavin Waddell

ive got my self a 1.9 beam for the stub axels so i can run the disc brakes, now ive got one trailing aarm out but i cant get the other one out its stuck in the in the anti roll bar tube now what do people normally do now? i was thinking of using one trailing arm off the 1.9 and pressing out the other axel and pressing into the 1.6 trailing arm.

i have smacked the s*** out of it and well nothing, the other side came out easily. now when i took it of the car i raised it on the forklift and both wheels came down freely.

any one got any ideas?

welshpug

have you removed all the torsion bar bolts/nuts? if so just smack it with a sledge hammer.

if that fails try a blowtorch on where the torsion bars go into the beam and the trailing arm.

Edited by welshpug

Higgy

Try reading the 'beam refurb guide' on the main website, it will explain it all and the name of the components.

Better hope the bearings are ok, as it should just pull out of the tube. ;)

If you got the torsion bars off and the other arm is out of the tube, it would suggest that the shaft/bearings have worn and rut (or big rust ball) has formed.

Hit it harder -_- I had to squirt loads of WD40 while trying to turn the swing arm. Eventually the arm came out.

Higgy.

Gavin Waddell

right i hit it with a bigger hammer and well i got the trailing arm of but the shaft stayed in the tube. now i want to know is it possible to re-use the trailing arm. that way i can use the arm with a new tube. here are a few photos of the arm as i hit it with a sledge hammer and there is abit of surface chipping. was going to just use a grinder and grind it back.

Peugeot205MI16003.jpg

Peugeot205MI16002.jpg

(edited to fix layout)

Edited by jackherer

B1ack_Mi16

If your 1.6 beam is good and you only do it to change to discbrakes at the rear...

Why not just switch over the stub axles and caliper mountingbrackets from the 1.9 trailing-arm?

Then you can just bolt the discbrakes onto the 1.6 beam.

Gavin Waddell

wanted to use the 1.9 trailing arm and shafts that way it is a straight swap, could renew the shafts and bearings then bang it all on. if i use the 1.6 arm i have to press out the shafts and the stub axels so i can change them and then also press out the stub axels from the 1.9 beam, which is a mission. the big issue is that i dont have a press i know of garages that will press everything out but tthat cost money. Thats why i wanted to now if i could still use the trailing arm that way i only change the shafts and have done with it.

plus i can repaint and refurb every part before putting it on the car

gavin

welshpug

if you managed to smack an arm shaft out I'm sure you'll have no problem tapping out a stub axle!!!

when my arm shafts were done on my 205 50 tonnes didnt shift them!

as for stub axles they generally just need a nut on the end to protect the threads and a few good swings of a lump/sledge.

jonnie205

Rather then beating f$$K out of the arm to get it out of the tube you should use a porta power ram. This will push arm straight out without having to damage it

Gavin Waddell

knid of left my porta power ram at work, new there was something i forgot. the other arm was easy so i new this one was stuck. so i decided that i would swap the stub axels over, from the 1.9 to the 1.6 beam which is good. Now if i can avoid all that by using the 1.9 arms with new shaf'ts it would be a bonus. thats why i was asking if i could still use the arm with a new shaft. so is it possible?

or get tthe stubbies and swap them over from arm to arm. now the 1.6 and 1.9 arm are them same, so i can run one on each side?

cheers

Gavin Waddell

right thrn i was sble to get the stub axel out of the arm. so noe i will swap it onto the 1.6 arm :)

Sign in to follow this