• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
peapea

Whirring Starter Motor - Mi16

peapea

Hey all,

Last night after driving home i switched off the car. Only to hear a whirring sound which to me sounded like the starter motor, It wouldnt stop so I went to disconnect the battery but before I could it then stopped. I haven't a clue what this is. Sometimes when starting the car I just get a click from the solenoid before it fires on the next turn of the key,

The starter isn't that old (2years)

Is it likely to be a wiring issue?

Kev

Wurzel

Are you sure that wasn't the fan on high speed? It can sound a bit wierd if you haven't heard it before.

If it was the starter motor still engaged, I doubt it would have lasted the length of your journey. Reconnect the battery and if the whirring is still there from the off before starting the car, something is wrong.

A bit more investigation is needed though I think.

p.s Nice place Taunton :)

peapea

Hi Wurzel,

It definately wasn't the fan as my fan is on a switch,so I can turn it on at track days etc. It's not connected to the fan temp switch in the rad.

The journey was prob only 1/2 mile if that, as i'd just stopped at a mates en route to mine, the starter has been fine today, although still clicks on a few turns of the key before it turns over.

I don't understand what happened it was such a freaky sound! :)

Taunton is quite a nice place, didn't you used to live in cornwall?

Kev

Wurzel

Hopefully it was a one off then? I know the clicking on ignition key turning is a common problem (mine does it despite hours of trying to sort it).

I used to live in Minehead, most of the remaining family still does :)

peapea

Yes, Ihope it was a one off,

I'm going to replace the brown multiplug & starter wiring this weekend just to eliminate that.

Guest Declasm
Yes, Ihope it was a one off,

I repaced the starter on my 1.6gti today and I think I have the same problem - a very screechy sound from the starter as if it isn't disengaging. Unfortunately mine didin't seem to want to stop! Have you had any luck finding the source of the problem?

Edited by Declasm

Sign in to follow this