• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Patches

Damp

Patches

Hi

Ive done a search but nothing really covers what Im after.

My car wouldnt start the other day so had to call breakdown out :) He said it was just because it was damp, sprayed oil everyhwere , jump started her and she was fine. Now shes done it again 2nd day running, what can I do to rectify the fact its damp outside?!

Cheers

Michelle

j_turnell

Take the dizzy cap off and check theres no moisture inside. But you said you jumped it, is it turning over and not firing or you not getting anything??

Patches

its turning over, yesterday it was coughing a little, but today , nada.

bren_1.3

ermmm you could grease up all the major starting contacts, as a temporary meaure for the winter months.

pug_ham

Like James says, check inside the distributr cap for moisture & spray inside with wd40 to expel any you can't wipe off.

When did you last replace the plugs, dizzy car, rotor arm & leads? Might be a good time for new ones if its over a year ago as it'll only get worse as it gets colder.

Graham.

Patches

Thankyou all

Mr Torque - exactly what is being done at the weekend as they all look a bit sad lol. Slight leak from rocker cover too going into plugs so that will be sorted too and then hopefully all should be ok

Thanks everyone.

Miles

Another common point is the connector between the Dizzy and ignition amp, White 3 pin plug. Get damp in this and it won;t start

mishu

I've noticed this issue appear on my carbed 1.1 model when I drive over a larger puddle for instance. In the end, I guess it comes down to dampness as well (because the water vaporises when coming in contact with hot components under the hood and creates moisture). Works again just fine after after a couple of hours...

I guess I'll open up the dizzy and try sealing it a little better as well.

bitchass 205

This is exactly what happened with my brothers xs engine, he tried starting it and it would turn over just wouldn't spark, replaced all the components that create the spark and all was well.

If its not turning over then maybe the battery needs charging or something? :o

Rob Thomson

Just to add something to the last post, it was indeed the connection between the coil and HT lead that was causing my problems. I've had no problems since resolving that and took it out in the pissing wet last night, including driving through some pretty deep standing water. No problems last night, and it fired up when I checked this morning too.

Obviously damp starting problems can be caused by a host of things, but the coil HT is definitely worth a look.

Sign in to follow this