• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DirtyFlare

Cambelt Change

DirtyFlare

I'm going to change my cambelt soon and was wondering what else I should change whilst I'm at it.

I will be changing the water pump as well as the cam belt. Should I change the tensioners as well?

Is there a way of telling what type of belt tensioners I have without having to take the cambelt cover off?

My car is a 1.6 GTI.

Revla
I'm going to change my cambelt soon and was wondering what else I should change whilst I'm at it.

I will be changing the water pump as well as the cam belt. Should I change the tensioners as well?

Is there a way of telling what type of belt tensioners I have without having to take the cambelt cover off?

My car is a 1.6 GTI.

Hi,

If you have the sprung type tensioner, there will be a fixing (which adjusts the tension with a 'cam') round the back of the head, just below the top cover. If there is no fixing (can't remember what fixing head type it is), then you have the offcentre bearing type.

Hope that made sense!

I'd replace as you are in there anyhow!

Trev

j_turnell

Always worth doing the tensioner, best getting a cambelt kit, work out cheaper, water pump also a very good idea. As already mentioned there are two types of tensioner but only the very late 1.6s post 92 iirc use the mi style, so youll more than likely need the spring loaded type.

Wurzel

If you're going to drain the coolant for the pump, what condition is you metal pipe in that joins the lower pipe from the radiator to the back of the engine block? They are usually rusty as feck and in need of a change. Might be a good idea to do it whilst you're coolant less and in the area :)

DirtyFlare
Always worth doing the tensioner, best getting a cambelt kit, work out cheaper

Does anyone know a website where i can get a camblet kit? I have checked euro cars, gsf and also auto five, bu they dont seem to do a kit.

I have also read more posts about timing/camblets and people have explained how for some reason their cambelts have 1 less tooth. Is there a way of checking how many teeth are on the cambelt? Will it be written on the camblet it self?

welshpug
Does anyone know a website where i can get a camblet kit? I have checked euro cars, gsf and also auto five, bu they dont seem to do a kit.

dont bother with the websites, as the cars are so old they get dropped from the website and sometimes even the catalouges but they will still stock the items.

good ol dog and bone my man!

pug_ham
Is there a way of checking how many teeth are on the cambelt? Will it be written on the camblet it self?

The number of teeth on the belt are determined by the type of tensioner fitted to your engine as described by j_turnell above.

What year is your car?

To be certain what type of tensioner you have though, look at the back side of the block at the cambelt end & feel underneath the exhaust for a stud that seems to be there for no reason. (see attachemnt)

If there is one then you have the spring tensioner & you need the longer belt iirc (113 teeth).

There is a kit for sale now by Bonzai in the for sale section.

Graham.

post-71-1165519990_thumb.jpg

Atari Boy

I have just bought a cam belt kit on eBay for £20, which seems okay, try there, and it was a 113 tooth kit for 1.6.

Sign in to follow this