• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugpete1108

Engines In!

pugpete1108

finaly got the gti6 engine in this morning ( after a panic about loosing the clutch plate bolts , and not being able to get that size anyhwere :excl: ), but there is no way in hell i am going to get the m/c back on .

even with the broken cambelt cover giving a little more space it looks as though it will hit the cam cover :)

post-7077-1164804409_thumb.jpg

i am running a solid bbm lower mount and std top mounts so there is no play in them , i read somehwhere that you can tilt the servo up with washers to give better clearance, either that or drop the engine slightly (not really sure how )

time for a bit of head scratching methinks

oh well at least its in yay!! :ph34r:

Alastairh

Try fitting the Mc anyway, you may well be surprised, but theres adjustments that can be made.

Alastair

pugpete1108
Try fitting the Mc anyway, you may well be surprised, but theres adjustments that can be made.

Alastair

i have and cant even get it back on , just done a search not alot came up but there is a few things i can try .

i amy have to lowrr engine slightly then put it on then refit the engine as i think it will give more clearance when its fully fitted ,but i have a feeling it will still touch.

do you think it will be safe to remove the cambelt cover totally ? as it looks like it will catch there too

Edited by pugpete1108

bitchass 205

looking good Pete!! i've got my car in the menders getting the rear beam and brakes done. So in the new year we'll be cruzin' rand de ring road, innit!! :)

pugpete1108
looking good Pete!! i've got my car in the menders getting the rear beam and brakes done. So in the new year we'll be cruzin' rand de ring road, innit!! :)

who is doing that then ? , someone local?

Wurzel

Removal of the cam belt cover has been a bit controversial in the past. There is the risk of picking up stones from the drivers side wheel and getting caught in the pulley wheel/cam belt. I know a bit of room can be made by elongating the holes in the gearbox mount mounting and sliding it as far to the drivers side as possible.

Without seeing pics of the sort of clearance issues you have, it's difficult to comment (as I've only done the Mi conversion, not the GTi-6).

Still, good luck :)

maxi

Cambelt cover is never a problem! get the belt off and put a new one on, looks hurrendous all broken!

The only MC fouling issue is with the rocker cover, I always cut the far coil cover mounting lug off and there is loads of room. A little dressing is required too!

Maxi

bitchass 205
who is doing that then ? , someone local?

a friend of mine who runs his workshop in pluckley. i managed to strip the beam down, ie get the calipers and discs etc off, but i wasn't going to get the time to do it myself, plus i need some welded to be done to the door sill.

have you thought about what wheels you're going to have on?

pugpete1108
Removal of the cam belt cover has been a bit controversial in the past. There is the risk of picking up stones from the drivers side wheel and getting caught in the pulley wheel/cam belt.

i was thinking of just taking the cover off and cutting the top section away and leaving the lower section to keep stray stoner from out of the pulleys .

Cambelt cover is never a problem! get the belt off and put a new one on, looks hurrendous all broken!

the belt is new i only just did it before i put the engine in.

and no michael i havent thought about what wheels to put on , why you got some spare? , i really want some 1.9's but in white , not sure yet.

Dream Weaver

My engine didn't have a cover fitted when I got it, but I wanted one on, but without removing the belt as it had just been fitted.

So I just cut the cover in half and slid it behind the pulleys. The way it bolts to the head/block means it wont come away, then the top cover holds it in place anyway, though this was on an Mi.

I'd get a new cover on it if it was me.

pugpete1108
My engine didn't have a cover fitted when I got it, but I wanted one on, but without removing the belt as it had just been fitted.

So I just cut the cover in half and slid it behind the pulleys. The way it bolts to the head/block means it wont come away, then the top cover holds it in place anyway, though this was on an Mi.

I'd get a new cover on it if it was me.

yeah its seems to be the same on mine si, the rear part bolts to the engine but mine is split anyway so i could quite easily remove it without taking the belt off , i am gonna try dropping the engine and tilting the master cylinder a bit and then see what happens , if i can get away with fitting a new cover i will , if not i will do without .

gotta get a new master cylinder anyway as my one looks to be original ( meaning its a big pile of rust B) )

maxi
yeah its seems to be the same on mine si, the rear part bolts to the engine but mine is split anyway so i could quite easily remove it without taking the belt off , i am gonna try dropping the engine and tilting the master cylinder a bit and then see what happens , if i can get away with fitting a new cover i will , if not i will do without .

gotta get a new master cylinder anyway as my one looks to be original ( meaning its a big pile of rust :) )

Read my previous pos, there no need for any MC mods.

chunkymonkey

i agree with maxi on this as their is none on mine

simon isnt the gti6 different from the mi16 interms of size??

im sure the gti6 is a deeper engine but hey i maybe wrong?

pugpete1108

yeah i read it and will try it before i do anything else.

do you have to grind the cover or just the lug that holds the coil in place? , if the cover how much can you get away with?

Sign in to follow this