• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mos

Fuel Filter

mos

hi,

search on here but to no avail on this

i am struggling to fit a standard gti fuel filter back into the original location on my s16 conversion with enough clearance so it will definately not contact the cam cover

so i am wondering could i fit something smaller from another vehicle.

i was in my local motor factors today buying some fuel line and had a look at a few various filters from a multitude of cars, something from say a 1.2 punto would be idea from a physical cansiter size point of view.

but i am worried the gti fuel filter is the size it is for a reason i assume and my thinking is that fitting a smaller filter will either lead to less filtration and/or a restriction in the fuel line, not a good idea partcular when you consider i am running throttle bodies so demand for fuel way be slightly higher than standard injection.

the way i see it i have three options

1, i relocate a standard gti fuel filter to somewhere it will fit comfortably

2, i fit a smaller filter if i can find one running the correct size unions, providing it will have no detrimental effects on filtration/flow/volume

3, i buy a high flow motorsport type filter from the likes of demon tweeks, but this will probably cost an arm and a leg and having just had a quick look at the tweeks online shop their are numerous options without any decent product info/explainations of the differences etc

prices range from about a £5 to nearly £100!!!

what do you folks think i should do?

thanks

mark

TEKNOPUG

I think that you can use one from a 405 which has better connection than the 205 banjo ones. However, you can mount the 205 one anywhere you like, providing you have enough fuel hose. Where the jack sits is a popular location.

Wurzel

I too had major problems with sealing despite using new filters, o rings etc. In the end I did what Teknopug suggested and extended the pipes with new hose. I then used a filter from a volkswagen passat 1.8CL which I knew to be the same diameter and size as the original, but has push on fit rather than banjos. I used the original clamp and fitted it where the original jack goes.

Much easier to get to and change.

sonofsam

^^^ I may do that, sounds good B) Also had a leak out the banjo when refitting last time, all new bits as said. Found I had to do it FT to stop it leaking.

Also heard of people using a small piece of clear (adaptor) pipe, so you check to see if your getting fuel without having to take injectors out etc...Dont know of anyone who's done this though.

TEKNOPUG

They are a pain in the arse to change - especially with a turbo in the way and TWO fuel lines! I paid my mechanic £20 in end to do it as I couldn't be bothered with the grief.

sonofsam

What banjos? Admittedly I set mine up first with the engine out, so was relatively easy, but obviously the leak occured the first time engine was started, to say I panicked when I realised would be an understement B)

Yes getting two big spanners down there was a head ache, but I'd never pay anyone to do it for me :blush:

Wurzel
Also heard of people using a small piece of clear (adaptor) pipe, so you check to see if your getting fuel without having to take injectors out etc...Dont know of anyone who's done this though.

Be sure not to use any old clear pipe. I'm pretty sure there isn't clear fuel pipe on sale.

The pipe MUST be of a suitable pressure rating and heat resistant, and obviously fuel resistant. Most of the clear stuff I know also goes brittle with UV and eventually cracks, again not good. If you're really bothered, fit an inline clear filter (fuel injection rated) to ordinary fuel injection hose :)

smckeown

I had planned to fir the 405 smaller filter where the jack normally is on my old mi16, but never got round to it. I therefore have 2 new such filters I can sell you for peanuts. PM me if your interested

cheers

sean

sonofsam

Na , me not that bothered :)

Yeah must of been the clear filter thing matey told me about.

Cheers Wurzel.

Alan_M

I had loads of trouble with the standard filter, so I changed it to a smaller unit that used 'normal' jubilee fuelhose clips.

I used a filter for a 200SX in the end, half the size of the standard filter, flows plenty enough given the new filters intended user, and a phase 1 ignition coil bracket is the perfect size to clamp it in the original position :)

Edd-XS

Yea surely most fuel filters rated for 2L + engines should be fine? Gonna get rid of mine too, just cos I dont like it! Moved to a better location also makes alot of sense.

Edd

Sign in to follow this