• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
max0

I Got A Hole In My Head

max0

After taking my head to get refaced, they asked if I could remove the cam to make it easyer for them and cheaper for me. After taking the cam out I found this hole. ;)

Im guessing from looking at it, its not suppose to be there? (my dad woundered if it was a oil way but from looking at the shape of the hole im guessing not :D

Is there anyway it could be repared or im looking at sourcing a new head?

post-7868-1164737190_thumb.jpg

boombang

I think thats meant to be there - its the final oil drain where the seal goes.

max0
I think thats meant to be there - its the final oil drain where the seal goes.

From lookin at the shape of the hole are you sure?

post-7868-1164737920_thumb.jpg

Ahl

Tis true, you'll find it on all of the engines.

max0
Tis true, you'll find it on all of the engines.

cheers guys thats just made my day!

Wurzel

Obviously things aren't going to plan mate since the rear beam rebuild etc B)

max0
Obviously things aren't going to plan mate since the rear beam rebuild etc :blush:

Alright Nick, good to hear from you. You back from the desert? Got a 2.0 turbo from a XM to replace the 1.6 for a bit more poke and put even more smiles on my face B)

KRISKARRERA

What the f***? Could they have made that hole any more amateurishly?! B)

inferno

will be replaceing seals and cam in my xm turbo within the next week or two prior to fitting... ill see if my oilways the same shape!

max0
will be replaceing seals and cam in my xm turbo within the next week or two prior to fitting... ill see if my oilways the same shape!

cheers would be intresting to find out. Took the head to the machine shop today and they confirmed that it is a oil way - all be it a very od looking one. Its at the cam belt end by the way

pug309twin40s

all the xu 8'vs cly heads have that hole at the timing belt end. not sure if diesel ones do iswell!

always looks like a kid made the hole lol.

lagonda

OK it looks amateurish but need to remember they're machining through to a rough side of the casting so it's never going to look pretty. Yes they could have fettled it to make it look better, but then why? Would only have added to the original cost. So long as it's there & it works is all that matters.

max0
OK it looks amateurish but need to remember they're machining through to a rough side of the casting so it's never going to look pretty. Yes they could have fettled it to make it look better, but then why? Would only have added to the original cost. So long as it's there & it works is all that matters.

The fact it looks amaterurish is what mad me wounder if it was supose to be there or not. It gave me a bit of a scare seeing it due to this been my first car engine rebuild :) Thanks to all who posted and put my mind at rest.

Maybe they designed the hole late one friday night just before the electrics :(

Sign in to follow this