• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DrSarty

Anyone Seen This Before?

maxi

Ive had this before, just get the spark plug hole helicoiled. Dont tak the head off, not worth it for such a small issue........

Maxi

Rippthrough

Overtorqued/cross-threaded which damaged the thread, let a small amount of air down the sides of the plug (copper washer prob. not sealing properly because of thread/plug damage) and lean mixture at the base of the electrodes pushed the temperatures right up, weakened them and caused them to bend inwards?

Edited by Rippthrough

lagonda

Just a thought .... the thread is stripped ... the electrodes are bent ... the lower end of the plug thread appears damaged/worn: could there be a connection here? Is it possible someone has put the plug in very cross threaded (it doesn't take much for aluminium threads to give), bending the electrodes in the process? The plug would eventually inevitably straighten in the hole, & would even tighten against the shoulder, all OK apparently, but then the thread in the head would have been all but destroyed, as revealed next time it is undone.

pugrallye

and dont forget about the arcing problems you had from your ht leads....

DrSarty

Thanks for continuing to add your ha'pennies' worth ya'll.

MAXI - I'm 'pleased' that it's happened to someone else - reassures me of my falability and that I'm not unique creating new ways to break an Mi head!

I'm not going to helicoil insitu - I will get the head properly fixed, probably having all 4 h-coiled to make it a more valuable head to sell (gotta make my PeterT money back al little eh?). I make a plan and stick to it as per my 'Mi16 myth' thread some time back. The head's coming off Fri afternoon and my engine will start again sometime after (!) with agressive inlet cam, higher compression, professionally cleaned head with the triple cut valves and the complete Maniflow exhaust. Sod it - I might as well have the replacement head helicoiled as well.

I'm now practically broke - so it's all a labour of love now. Anyone who wants to help (Pugrallye-Jon, Kyepan-Justin, Batfink-Kev, Anthony) and anyone else who's up for getting her back on the road will find food and beverages awaiting them.

Here's to hearing her puurrrrrrr again.

DrS :rolleyes:

mrswampy

what you need is some nice iridium plugs, cut out the multi electrode nonsense.

wont give you answer to why this happend but it will help the new rebuild run sweetly!

oh yeah im looking at doing a group buy of them on the gti6 forum and others aswell if i get a decent enogh number of people wanting them.

DrSarty

A quickie update - head's off and nothing of note on either the piston or indeed the head/valve combo at all.

It is visible that the spark plug thread on 4 (cam belt end?) is a little poor so perhaps that's all it was; me taking the plug in and out due to the initial start-up, fuel injector caused mis fire and over tightening the plug.

Anyway the replacement triple cut seat, skimmed, acid dipped and slightly flowed head is only awaiting the hydro lifters (which I am refurbing at this very moment) being fitted and then both cams; the inlet being a (well travelled - Sidney and back over xmas :lol: ) peterT regrind.

All back together with the maniflow complete exhaust system over the next fortnight as time allows.

Then we'll see if the bitch starts and we can blat her about again.

Here's hopin' eh! :)

DrS :)

PS: Oooohh, earlier in the thread were recommendations of platinum (NGK) or irridium (supplier?) spark plugs. I'd like to fit some of these AREA 51 sounding gadgers - where do I find 'em please dudes????

Sign in to follow this