• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
frodo_monkey

Quick Handbrake Question

frodo_monkey

Hi all,

Just received my 'new' rear calipers (cheers Jonnie205!), and after 10mins with a wire brush they look pretty good. The old handbrake cables had been cut off before I got the calipers, but I reckon I've still got the metal thingy stuck in there:

PB280002.jpg

I did a search and it seems to me that this dooberry is a remnant from the old cables, therefore I just cut/punch it out yes?

Also, in a rush to get my new cables out of the wrapping, I binned the bags they came in and now don't know which side is which - is it the O/S or N/S one thats longer, and which one has the blue rubber versus the black rubber round the cable?

Thanks in advance! BTW, was getting some bolts and whatnot from the local Pug dealer and asked him to bung in a couple of bleed nipples - was told they're £4 each! Robbing barstewards! The 50p ones I got from the local factors are much the same...

Rgds,

Frodo ;)

hengti

yeah - the ferrules from the old cables are still there - just need to knock them out

o/s cable is about an inch longer than the n/s cable

smear a small amount of copper grease on the nipples as you fit them - helps prevent them seizing in future ;)

frodo_monkey

Beautiful, just the answer I needed! Ta very much ;)

sonofsam

Those ferrules are slighlty splined too IIRC, they do take a fair beating mind, might be worth a soak up first, although those dont 'look' to bad.

I made the same mistake as ( throwing away the bags ) Its fairly obvious though once your underneath fitting/offering them up.

Also another tip I have heard about ( not done it myself ) is to drill ( be carefull ) small holes through the mounts for the handbrake cables, then you can zip tie them in, to stop them falling down all the time.Saying that mine have stayed in place:D

hengti

i've zip tied mine up - you do need to be very careful as the plastic is quite soft - don't want to end up stabbing the petrol tank ;)

don't even think about using a power drill - use a hand drill if you've got one

Sign in to follow this