• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
steve@cornwall

[body_work] My New Cti Project

steve@cornwall

Got the new cti shed home today- so a few pics of condition!

post-7883-1164726753_thumb.jpg

post-7883-1164726799_thumb.jpg

the interior is erm, used!

post-7883-1164726830_thumb.jpg

paintwork tired!

post-7883-1164726888_thumb.jpg

need to finally fit my new hood! and get the leccy mech to work

post-7883-1164726918_thumb.jpg

used- note pipe from afm/tb pipe to oil filler missing!

Generally drives well, though-sounds v.quiet with good oil pressure and water temp, stopped smoking after 8 miles, so hopefully nothing major there!

vern

You are going to have fun changing hood, as the frame looks very rusty where it meets the rear window.

steve@cornwall
You are going to have fun changing hood, as the frame looks very rusty where it meets the rear window.

luckily, I have a couple of spare,good manual frames ,an angle grinder and a mate with a mig :)

steve@cornwall

post-7883-1164879822_thumb.jpg

may need a bit of spit and polish....

post-7883-1164879895_thumb.jpg

Jeckyl + Hyde?

post-7883-1164879957_thumb.jpg

post-7883-1164879983_thumb.jpg

1 hour spent :) so far

inferno

If u need any spares i have a load,same color too. just changed the hood on my grey one, theres gotta be a knack to making it close properly though! probly needs adjusting.

steve@cornwall
If u need any spares i have a load,same color too. just changed the hood on my grey one, theres gotta be a knack to making it close properly though! probly needs adjusting.

Cheers!- I've broken a cherry red and a graphite cti this year!- but just to be awkward, this one's "violet red".

Does your hood now seem like it's too short for the body?, if so try height adj by slackening the 3 x 13mm hood bolts each side and see how well it closes, with the rear windows down slightly- they could rise too high for the replacement hood. I had the same prob. on my silver cti

edit- don't suppose you have a pump for leccy hood- mine whirrs,hood is free travelling but no up or down. release pressure valve doesn't seem to close properly.

Edited by steve@cornwall

Henry Yorke

I saw that one on ebay and it was cheap!

The manual and power hoods are totally different beasts as they fold differently. Also the rear quarter windows are different on the power hoods.

I have a spare hood frame and rams but I think my broher wants those for his power hood cti :)

mikie

I have seen this one driving round lots and it always looked in quite good condition really.Bargain :) .Thats one good thing about cornwall,stuff on ebay listed as collection only goes cheap because no one can be bothered to come down here when they realise how far it is :D

inferno

Both mine are non power hoods, but yes it almost seems too short, had to wind the hooks out to close it, so ill try that tomorow as i need to get the black gti in the workshop and turboed asap! do u have a spare cti carpet steve?!

steve@cornwall

Well, I finally did a little more today- removing the old hood cover to discover what lies beneath :(

Vern was correct

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/pug...ti/DSC00187.jpg

Retainer for window was not healthy- luckily I have a spare of this rather expensive item :angry:

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/pug...ti/DSC00188.jpg

this is what the little bubbles across the rear hood bar have below

The earlier models appear to have had these well galvanised,so I have a spare :angry:

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/pug...ti/DSC00186.jpg

The same for the front closing panel

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/pug...ti/DSC00189.jpg

Tensioning cables were a little past their prime...

New ones made up ay local chandlers for a couple of quid

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/pug...ti/DSC00190.jpg

Something missing?

DSC00191.jpg

Hopefully I'll get the new hood fitted soon,once I've decided how to deal with the rusted frame by the windows and can update then

steve@cornwall

Finally, some progress :D

If you've replaced a hood cover, you'll appreciate these!

DSC00192.jpg

Hopefully, these creases will drop out in time, hood cover has been folded in the loft for over a year..

DSC00201.jpg

A Rare and wonderful sight

DSC00202.jpg

In the end I ground out the rust in the frame behind the windows, cut a plastic "splint" and fixed in place with copious amounts of fibregass- it doesn't bare a lot of pressure/force so should be fine

steve@cornwall

Booked for mot Thursday :D

updated pics in sig link....

The "valet" ended up including replacing the engine for a 1.9 citroen lump, hood, rear window panel and front seat and respraying the front wing! It is still in need of a stiffener for the n/s quarter of the hood to cure that "saggy look and an adapter to make the oil pressure guage work. But now it has to go as space is needed for my son's first project!

Edited by steve@cornwall

pug_life

looks good, my misus is after one but can't find one decently priced in fair condition...

vern

I take it you mean the creases on the side near the rear window?. I don't think they are creases that will drop out, looks to my untrained eye that something is not quite square, is it the same both sides?.

Sure makes differance with a new hood, totaly changes the apperance for only a couple of hundred pounds.

steve@cornwall
I take it you mean the creases on the side near the rear window?. I don't think they are creases that will drop out, looks to my untrained eye that something is not quite square, is it the same both sides?.

Sure makes differance with a new hood, totaly changes the apperance for only a couple of hundred pounds.

They're dropping out quite well with a few days sunshine :lol: I reckon I've been a little out with the location of the fixing screws, but prefer a couple of small creases to making extra holes....

DSC00223.jpg

DSC00224.jpg

vern

Not to bad now, nothing to worry about unless your a perfectionist?.

steve@cornwall

Not to bad now, nothing to worry about unless your a perfectionist?.

[/quote

My intention is to offer it for sale locally for 875ish with new mot and plate which is valued at 400 so, whilst perfection is not an option, it has to be reasonably good!

vern

It is much better than an old holey roof, you will have a much better chance of selling.