• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stevec205gti

Yet More Ignition Questions

stevec205gti

Well, after replacing almost everything I can think of the pigging car still cuts out when it fancies. I have replaced and done the following:-

New ignition amp

New coil

Changed lead from dizzy

Replaced dizzy

Shaken and stirred every single wire I can find to do with the ignition, including alarm connections

Removed alarm control box

Sworn at it a lot

Anyone suggest anything else? Is there anything basic like a relay stashed away I'm missing? All I can think that's left is the ECU itself - though I'm not sure this generates the same fault of the rev counter dropping off whilst killing the ignition?

Another observation - I get a nasty tingling when touching one of the LT connections and leaning on the block - I thought these were only supposed to see 12v??? Anyone out there feeling brave enough to see if this is normal :):P:D

welshpug

changed plugs and leads?

luggy

Checked that the earth points are free of corrosion,Tachymetric relay? what about the fuelling side?, when was the fuel filter last changed?, fuel pump possibly?.

stevec205gti

Earth points seem ok - I'm only getting a couple of ohms between various earth points and the battery so I'm assuming they're ok

Can't be anything fuel related as the rev counter drops out showing it's a problem ignition side, or plug lead related - though just for the record I've changed the king lead, dizzy cap and rotor arm as well.

Ahl

I know you say it must be ignition related, but a bad contact in the tachymetric relay can cause similar problems. I've had it before.

It might be worth swapping it over with a known good one, just incase.

stevec205gti
I know you say it must be ignition related, but a bad contact in the tachymetric relay can cause similar problems. I've had it before.

It might be worth swapping it over with a known good one, just incase.

Does the tachymetric relay cause the rev counter to drop out - I replaced it witha brand new one about 18 months ago :rolleyes:

Anthony

Are the contacts on the plug that the lead from the dizzy plugs into OK? That's what's currently amiss on my 1.6 GTi and causes it to intermittently miss and cut out all together - the metal pins inside the plug have basically fallen to pieces...

stevec205gti
Are the contacts on the plug that the lead from the dizzy plugs into OK? That's what's currently amiss on my 1.6 GTi and causes it to intermittently miss and cut out all together - the metal pins inside the plug have basically fallen to pieces...

Will check next time I'm around the car in daylight (damn winter evenings!!!)

Cheers

Ahl

If your tachy relay is only 18 months old, I think you can count it out. :rolleyes:

stevec205gti

Well, I've checked and wobled and shaken all the connections I can find, and nothing happens to get the thing to cut out :wacko:

What I have done is swapped over the coil connections - with out the engine running but with the ignition on I get 12V on one of the red wires, and nothing on any of the others. Unfortunately the red wires were connected to the -ve terminal - so I've made a remotely intelligent decision and swapped them over, though I've found nothing to tell me if this is right or not. The question I have is will having it the wrong way round a) damaged the coil, or :unsure: damaged the amp???

PS - the thing still cuts out after about 20 miles!!!!!

luggy

Have you cleaned the contact point on the ignition amp and used fresh heatsink paste when putting the new one in?How long does it take you to cover those 20 miles? Maybe just start the car up from cold and let it idle for that period of time, if its a heat induced electrical problem then it will probably take less time to raise its ugly head because of the lack of cooling due to the vehicle not moving. Then maybe swap out the old ignition amp and see if the car then starts.

Edited by luggy

stevec205gti

Yep - that's nice and clean, and I used the whole tube of stuff that came with it. I had it idling for about 2 hours fine the other day and it didn't cut out.

luggy

I know Ahl suggested and dismissed the tachymetric relay because you swapped it over 18 months ago , but I'd keep and open mind considering you swapped it once and everything up to there ignition wise has been swapped out.

Otherwise apart from your ECU I am Feckin stumped!

Edited by luggy

steve@cornwall
I know Ahl suggested and dismissed the tachymetric relay because you swapped it over 18 months ago , but I'd keep and open mind considering you swapped it once and everything up to there ignition wise has been swapped out.

Otherwise apart from your ECU I am Feckin stumped!

Straw grasping time!! seeing as the symptoms are similar to if you just turned the key off- what about a dodgy connection in the ignition switch?- possibly brought about by the alarm system, which always seems to take power feed off the switch wiring, or even the two brown connectors from the switch wiring to the loom? I had a laserline system spontaneously combust shortly after buying my gti and it made a bit of a mess...

kyepan

when does it happen exactly, you said after 20 mins.. mine used to cut out over bumps, found out it was dodgy wiring on a connector block for a tacheometric relay.

stevec205gti
Straw grasping time!! seeing as the symptoms are similar to if you just turned the key off- what about a dodgy connection in the ignition switch?- possibly brought about by the alarm system, which always seems to take power feed off the switch wiring, or even the two brown connectors from the switch wiring to the loom? I had a laserline system spontaneously combust shortly after buying my gti and it made a bit of a mess...

I've not got the alarm control box in there anymore, though the connectors are stll wired in - wiggling these doesn't cause the thing to cut out though.

I've also wobbled all the wires to the relay and it makes no difference - and I still don't think the relay will cause the rev counter to drop out

nick

As above. Have you tried a different ignition barrel?

An old motorbike of mine used to randomly switch itself off, that was a dodgy ignition barrel.

Nick

stevec205gti
As above. Have you tried a different ignition barrel?

An old motorbike of mine used to randomly switch itself off, that was a dodgy ignition barrel.

Nick

I replaced the ignition barrel last christmas (ahhhhhhh, I'm coming over all Wham) - so it won't have lasted long if it's that ;)

I'll try giving it a check though

steve@cornwall
I replaced the ignition barrel last christmas (ahhhhhhh, I'm coming over all Wham) - so it won't have lasted long if it's that ;)

I'll try giving it a check though

ah.. did you replace the barrel only, screwing the wiring block to it?- maybe screws have loosened and allow the block to rotate a little?

Sign in to follow this