• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
smugpug205

Top Engine Mount Problem

smugpug205

Hi, Got a problem with my top mount, It keeps snaping the bottom stud that is moulded in to the rubber, this will be my 4th mount in as many months.

I fitted a solid bottom mount and new standard gearbox mount at the same time as the first top mount, Can't find any cause unless the solid mount is the problem,

Has any one else suffered with this and if so is there a probable cause

Any help and advice would be good

Adrian :)

hengti

that sounds really odd

have you got the buffers shimmed up to the mount?

smugpug205
that sounds really odd

have you got the buffers shimmed up to the mount?

Sorry if this is a silly question what do you mean by buffers?

Adrian

hengti

they're little squarish (is that a word?!) blocks of rubber that bolt either side of the alloy piece that sits ontop of the mount.

if i had a pic, it'd be easier to show you.

you have to take them off to get a new mount on. if this doesn't sound familiar, that's probably what's been causing your breakages!

Edp

The black rubber buffers which fit in front and behind the top engine mount? They bolt in and keep the engine mount nice and 'snug'.

If these are worn I guess the engine could move about but I'm not sure it would move as much as to snap 4 top mounts?! Thats if you've got any that is! :)

I cant make any out in the picture of your engine bay but you should have them.

Edited by Edp

smugpug205

Yes sorry i replaced them as well.

I have checked all the bottom mount bolts and all are tight and fine, Does any one make a more robust mount as i have brought the top mounts from the same place? would a main dealer one be better? or do they do a group N one?

Could it be just a bad batch.

Thanks Adrian

hengti

sorry - buffers was my only thought

maybe it is a manufacturing defect - can't imagine why they'd keep snapping otherwise :)

maybe someone who has had similar experience will be along to advise

if it's a non genuine 'std' spec part, you might be better off trying either a genuine Peugeot one or an uprated 'group N' type one - BBM bushes (who advertise on here) sell the uprated ones

smugpug205

Cheers Hengti, I have a BBM bottom mount was just looking on his web site to order a top mount rember reading on here that members get a discount is this still true and if so what is the discount code (205gtidrivers)

Cheers Adrian

Edited by smugpug205

hengti

not heard about the discount having been withdrawn - i ordered something about 6 months ago

'205 GTi drivers' is the discount code

good luck with it :)

steve@cornwall

One of my neighbours has a 1.9 miami- recently bought, the top rubber mount is ripped apart and the gearbox mount has snapped a stud. close inspection shows a slightly bent chassis leg from a (probably) quite minor front end shunt- imagine this throws everything out of line.putting stresses where they don't belong. Hope this isn't similar to yours, but thought it may be worth mentioning.

lagonda

Might also be worth loosening all 3 nuts on the other (gearbox) mount. Then remove the lower mount centre bolt and jack under the gearbox just enough to take the weight off its mount. In other words so that you can feel that that rubber mount is free to move. Then use a piece of tubing with an axle stand to pivot, & then lever the gearbox up and down a few times... gently. This will settle the engine/gearbox assembly in a position it's happy with, in relation to the gearbox mount. Then obviously tighten the gearbox mount bolts & replace lower mount bolt.

The mount you're replacing is non-adjustable, any adjustment necessary should be done with the gearbox mounting; you will find the 2 holes for the studs are oval to allow adjustment. It might be that someone previously has tightened the gearbox mounting before dealing with other mount, thus putting it under tension it's not designed for; procedure above should resolve it if so.

Wurzel

I was going to suggest what lagonda has said. There are people who deliberately push the engine over to one side in order to clear the brake master cylinder (some Mi engined cars) and they have had no problems that I know of.

Non OE bushes have been a bit suspect in the past though, usually wishbone bushes but doesn't mean other bushes aren't going to be bad.

I can't see the lower solid mount being a major concern as most of the engine movement control is through this mount (torque reaction etc). As it's the metal stud that is shearing, maybe the material they use is substandard. Hopefully it is otherwise an uprated mount would/could be worse.

smugpug205

Cheers for the replys guy's,

I ordered the uprated top mount from BBM just waiting for it to be delivered (may have come today but back at work and there was a card through the door)

When it's here though i will do what lagonda said and make sure the engine and mounts are sitting correct.

Think when i put the engine and box back in i did the gearbox mount up first before the top engine mount was back on.

Thanks Adrian :)

Wurzel

Well I just fitted my kit from BBM (finally). The movement on the gearbox mount is pretty small to be honest. I'd expect more problems with these mount if the gearbox mount was moved over too much rather than with the more squishy standard ones.

Still, I hope it solves your problems :)

By the way, expect a few more rattles in the car at idle let alone full chat :)

smugpug205
By the way, expect a few more rattles in the car at idle let alone full chat ;)

Is there alot more rattles with this top mount then, Thought something was broken when i first fitted my uprated bottom mount.

Still had it 2 years now and it still brings a smile to my face every time i drive it (unless mr tacametric reley burns the solder of the fuel pump feed again :) )

Adrian :)

hengti
Is there alot more rattles with this top mount then,

of the three uprated mounts, it's the top one that makes the most difference - both in terms of introducing vibration and the plus points of improving gear change and turn in

they do seem to soften with age/use though

if you fit the uprated buffers as well, that'll make it vibrate like mad. it's only personal pref, but i opted to keep the std buffers with the uprated mount

smugpug205
of the three uprated mounts, it's the top one that makes the most difference - both in terms of introducing vibration and the plus points of improving gear change and turn in

they do seem to soften with age/use though

if you fit the uprated buffers as well, that'll make it vibrate like mad. it's only personal pref, but i opted to keep the std buffers with the uprated mount

Ahh in for a penny in for pound -_-

It was delivered today so i will get it fitted while at work in the morning.

Adrian ;)

Sign in to follow this