• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
welshpug

Rear Beam Gone Oval On One Side, Sleeving?

welshpug

going to investigate this in a few days, maybe even tomorow...

basically my beam looks like this on one side

25-11-06_1042.jpg

and as the inner bearing cage is still intact -

25-11-06_1043.jpg

would it be possible to have a machine shop/forge drill out the damaged area and press a sleeve in to house a new bearing?

I reckon so, so I need the dimensions of the outer bearing if anyone has them to hand.

another interesting idea I've has would be to look into manufacturing the whole tube, i.e remove the cast bracket parts and press them onto a new tube, maybe an alloy one? so If anyone knows the dimensions of the inner bearing as well that would be great.

I have used the search function and waded through the first 5 pages! :)

sonofsam
Sleeving discussed there. If you hadnt seen that already :)

welshpug

missed that one :P so does anyone know the dimensions? going top speak to the Forge that put the trailing arm axles into the trailing arms for my 205, their 50 ton press didnt shift them so they drilled them out :)

Wurzel

Pretty sure I answered to this on the PSOOC forum.

Up to you, but I recommend sourcing a second hand cross tube from a base model. They are still subject to the same wear but are more plentiful and usually cheaper. Around my way, they are usually about £70-£80 for a complete beam. Most of it will be scrap as you're only after the crosstube but still cheaper than arsing around with replacement bearings for your newly sleeved beam.

Like I said though, each to their own :)

Sign in to follow this