• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gavtrials

306 Diesel Help Please?

Gavtrials

Hey,

Could someone please tell me where the ecu is located on the 306 d turbo as i cant seem to find it under the dash?

Allso i have another little question, apart from a failing head gasket is there anything else that can cause the water to rise in the header tank, like an airlock or something?

Thanks,

Gav.

Ahl

I don't think the D Turbo has an ECU, only the later HDI.

welshpug

doesnt have an ECU :D how long have you been looking for it? :blink:

as for the second q, yep, airlock, leak and so on as well as a H/G failure can cause the level to vary.

Still got the dark grey Mi16'd 205?

Edited by welshpug

Gavtrials

no i only looked for a few mins to see if it had one in the useual places,

Thats quite intresting then as basicly i changed an engine in my mates 306 d turbo for him and thought that the newer engine ecu was different as this new engine doesn't seem to be running correctly,But its not an ecu as it doesn't have one so u say.

It drives pretty well but the turbo just doesn't seem to be gving it the propper power, when my foot is flat down not in any gear it will only rev to 4k , engine is nice and free but my 306 diesel will rev to 5k, So dont understand why this is doing that, any ideas? I hered that the later d turbo engines have a turbo where you can alter the power or something and maybe this isn't quite rite? I took the car for a test run down the road and could only get it up to 70mph and no more, seems like the turbo or summin isn't kicking in?

"welshpug--Still got the dark grey Mi16'd 205?" Of course i still have it, dont think i will ever part with that,spent a little bit of money on it rebuilding the mi16 engine completely myself with was fun so engine is propper mint in it! my 306 turbo diesal is my daily driver and just take the mi out when im board really!

Guest mrwood

Try pug306.net for help with your diesel, someone there should be able to point you in the right direction :)

jim21070

A couple of things that could cause this..

You basically don't have enough air, sufficient boost or sufficient fuel.

The exhaust may be blocked. Give it an "Italian Tune Up". Thrash the t*ts off of it in a lower gear to burn off any accumulated carbon in the exhaust system. You may just see a shower of red-hot carbon fly out of the exhaust ;)

The hoses between the turbo hot side and inlet manifold may be split or leaking, bleeding off boost. The Intercooler may be holed and leaking.

The boost sense pipe from the inlet manifold to the injection pump may be split/perished or off and therefore not allowing the pump to sense boot pressure and deliver the right amount of fuel.

The air filter may be blocked.

The fuel filter may be choked and due for replacement thus restricting the amount of fuel getting to the pump.

Timing may be out but unlikely. Check that the cam timing is absolutely right by locking cam, pump AND crank using timing pins and check everything lines up 100% perfectly. It is not hard to be a bit out on the pump timing if you don't lock the crank when doing a cambelt.

Questions: Does it start easily? does it smoke at all? if so when and what colour? Note that you should see a puff of BLACK smoke at full throttle under load at 2500 -3000 RPM as the pump deliberately overfuels on boost.

Come back for more help if you need it :D

Edited by jim21070

Sign in to follow this