• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wildejon

Couple Of Questions

wildejon

Hi all,

I'vr got a couple of questions here for you!

1) I've got a leaking oil problem. Few drops each time I park, poss more when I'm driving but I don't know. I've put 300 ml into the box today as it wasn't full and the engine occasionally needs minmal oil. It drips from either the sub frame (below the rack) or the box, near the engine mating face.

Its deffo coming from the rear of the engine/box and the sub frame is becoming really oily from it. I cant see the leak though! There does seem to be some pooling of oil where the gear linkages connect to the box although I guess that would mean the oil would need to travel upwards? It does seem to make the rear of the sump oily and it also colects and drips from the rear of the box at the bottom, near the drain plug (which isn't leaking). Any ideas?! I have none... Thought it might be the box input shaft seal but the engine/box join seems dry.

2) I noticed today that the rear drivers side head bolt is abotu 15mm higher than all the others, is this normal?! Hope so, although it seems weird to me!

Many thanks,

Jon

Ryan

2. That's normal. That one head bolt has a spacer under it to stop the bolt breaking through into the water pump.

sonofsam

Gear oil or Engine oil? Smell to find out!

Gear oil> Input shaft seal or diff seal. Engine oil > Seal behind flywheel, possible culprits.

pug_ham

If the oil is pooled on top of the gearbox thenits possibly split gear oil if it was filled through the breatheron a Be3 or oil leaking from a dead distributor seal.

Input shaft seal would show as a slipping clutch also imo.

Like Sam says though, smell it & you should be able to tell if its gearoil or engine oil.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this