• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Bam

@turbodrivers Urgently

johnrobertgordon

Mine sounds well wrong then. The middle pipe go's to the right hand nipple on the throttle body and the none plug side go's to the turbo and the plug side is blocked off.

sonofsam

It does look plumbed in backwards doesnt it, who knows mate, might be between earlier and later engines.

Hence the info I gave top of the page was correct (ish)

Funnily enough just had low pressure air lines installed @ work:D Will give it a go.

The MBC I run now, has connections to the wastegate and throttle body only.

sonofsam

Topic revival!

Managed to source another Boost solenoid, as the MBC was pretty rubbish compared.

The person I bought it from was kind enough to draw me a quick sketch of the hoses that were attached.

It came from a 1996 RGX 406, so the same as my engine. :P

post-6977-1164312051_thumb.jpg

So the port on the solenoid that was supposed to be connected to a 'Boost' source, i blanked off :angry::P

Well. it worked for a while, hope I haven't knackered my actuator and will have to fabricate another T-piece

or plumb it into the spare port on the throttle body?once i've ditched the mbc.

vern

I have got a controller from emerald i think its a VAG part, and looks the same as your part. Was not sure how to connect up but I found that the longer of the 3 outlets must go to the wastegate actuator. As blowing through either of the 2 smaller tubes gives a straight through connection, and longer outlet shut off. When power applied air/boost is allowed to pass through to the longer outlet and thus to wastegate actuator.

I hope my ramblings have not clouded the water.

Henry Yorke
2qncop2.jpg

There are two conflicting views here. Does anyone know which is correct?

I had a bleed valve popped on mine the other day and took it off as the Engine Management light came on after a while on the motorway. It was very quick though

I then reconnected it as the top diagram and when on a rolling road, the Engine Management light came on and shortly after the ECU cut power and tried to spit my cti off the rollers at 5000 rpm! I get the feeling the second diagram is correct. My ECU is an XM one and ends in 219 if that helps!

vern

Think about what it does, alows boost to the actuator when preset boost level reached. So while engine is waiting for boost to reach preset level, no boost should reach actuator.

When boost reached preset level, boost should be allowed to actuator so allowing to operate, thus allowing wastegate to operate.

So on mine blowing through either of the 2 shorter connections allows a straight through connection, and longer connection isolted. when solenoid activated this allows air to exit the longer connection when air blown in through the shorter connection, thus to actuator.

This is my understanding of what it does, and how to connect it up.

Henry Yorke
Think about what it does, alows boost to the actuator when preset boost level reached. So while engine is waiting for boost to reach preset level, no boost should reach actuator.

When boost reached preset level, boost should be allowed to actuator so allowing to operate, thus allowing wastegate to operate.

So on mine blowing through either of the 2 shorter connections allows a straight through connection, and longer connection isolted. when solenoid activated this allows air to exit the longer connection when air blown in through the shorter connection, thus to actuator.

This is my understanding of what it does, and how to connect it up.

Not quite convinced on that!

The solenoid is on a duty cycle so it works a bit like a bleed valve, but with the ECU twisting the knob! Basically if the MAP sensor picks up too much pressure, it engages the BCS to vent some of the extra boost to atmosphere, i.e bleeds off.

If you took it off and piped the manifold straight to the actuator, you would technically get unlimited boost.

I have replumbed it up as per Sam's diagram, part on the theory above and also aided by some earlier engine bay pics there i can just see it :ph34r: Yet to run it out anywhere, but if it stops raining, I will later :lol:

vern

"The solenoid is on a duty cycle so it works a bit like a bleed valve, but with the ECU twisting the knob! Basically if the MAP sensor picks up too much pressure, it engages the BCS to vent some of the extra boost to atmosphere, i.e bleeds off."

The actuator "bleeds" boost by opening the wastegate thus reducing boost produced by the turbo.

"If you took it off and piped the manifold straight to the actuator, you would technically get unlimited boost."

Only up to the operating pressure of the actuator, which when reaches its maximum boost setitng opens the wastgate, thus reducing boost produced by the turbo.

This is my understanding and I am waiting to be shot down in flames.

pdd144c

Older setups use a feed from the inlet to the actuators to control boost. You adjust the boost by adjusting the arm length on the actuator. When the boost reaches the preset level it will open the wastegate and the boost 'should' hold at that level.

Boost controllers work by blocking the signal to the actuator, allowing the turbo to boost to a higher level, because the wastegate is still shut. When the boost gets to the level as set on the controller the solenoid pulses open/close, allowing some boost to the actuator and allowing the wastegate to open and keep the boost at a steady level.

If you want to run maximum boost all the time just don't connect anything to your actuator!

vern

Thanks for putting it in clearer language paul, so my line of thought is correct

309Dimma

I wonder if anyone could tell me which picture is correct?

Thanks.

2qncop2.jpg

Mikey G

Second picture is correct on my car and the conversion i did recently. The longer outlet going to air/turbo inlet.

sonofsam

Yes, I've set mine up per my diagram (bottom picture) and it works how it should.

Henry Yorke

Mine is per the second picture and works fine. Inferno was wrong!! :lol:

309Dimma

Thanks alot guys!

Sign in to follow this