• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jer309GTi

Quick I/manifold Gasket Q

Jer309GTi

Is it worth putting sealant on the Mi 1.9 inlet manifold gaskets? Ive done a quick search and it seems some people do, some don't. Cheers

t16ryan

if your going to its best to use a wet setting gasket like holamar ( think i spelt it wrong though ) LOL.

Edited by t16ryan

Jer309GTi

Thats the stuff I've got :), don't suppose it would hurt putting it on though

Revla
Thats the stuff I've got :), don't suppose it would hurt putting it on though

I've used blue RTV (similar to Hylomar) on my girlfriend's 1.6 inlet manifold without a gasket as I forgot to buy one! Been fine............

HTH

Trev

pug_ham

Inet manifold gasket really doesn't need it imo.

A fresh gasket should be more than sufficent.

Graham.

inferno

but dressing the inlet with a gasket type sealant isnt a bad idea ;) i dressed a cornflakes packet last time:P

Ruskyruss

yeah just a new gasket is fine by itself or dont use one and use the gloop, you dont need it as well as a new gasket though as long as your mating faces are clean ul b ok!

Grim.Badger

Considering the gasket was never designed to be used with sealant I wouldn't, and don't use any. I've got a perfect seal on both my sump and inlet gaskets without using any sealant compounds.

I should point out that when I was checking over my new inlet gasket it already had a ring of adhesive on it so using more would be a bit pointless really :)

t16ryan

If he is reusing the old gasket i would advise some wet setting sealant like holamar, but if its new there is no need as the other boys said :)

Grim.Badger

I'd say it's a false economy to re-use an old one considering new ones are less than £5, also it would have to be fairly damn new to be even remotely re-usable surely? I had to scrape the remains of the old one off both faces before getting the new one on, it took longer than taking all the pipes and the inlet manifold off the car :)

Anthony

Frequently I just use RTV in place of a gasket and it's fine :)

Jer309GTi

Cheers for all the replies, in the end I just put the new gaskets on without any sealant. Good to know you can use sealer in place of a gasket though

Sign in to follow this