• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mos

S16 Conversion Master Cylinder Clearance

mos

hi guys,

before anyone asks i have used the search function and trawled through dozens of posts regarding this but did not find a complete answer

fitted my s16 engine yesterday and have hit a snag

i mounted it in the upright position (non modifed rear lower mount)

i was fully prepared for the plastic cambelt cover not to clear as many people doing 2.0lt conversions have experienced and i was prepared for things to be a bit tight between the master cylinder and the cam cover but mine is actually digging into the the cover!

first i must point out that i am not using the s16 cover with the coil pack raised/domed cover etc i am using the slimmer 1.9 mi16 jobbie as will not be using the standard coil packs.

having extensively used the search function i know a number of people seem to have had similar issues when fitting the slightly taller iron block engine, although equally, plenty have seemed to have no issue.

the ones that did have issues have used a variety of methods to over come this such as modifying the upper and gearbox engine mounts etc

but the problem is no one (or at least the posts that i have found) has stated in detail what they actually did to these mounts to aid clearance, can someone please elaborate,

i do have a couple of ideas of my own to use in an attempt to try and modify the upper and gearbox mount, but it would be nice before i start to actually know in a bit of detail how others got around this.

additionally the tried and tested method of extending the lower mount mount help, obviously its well proven to help inlet and exhaust clearance but i opted against it as i wont be using either the standard inlet or exhaust but that said by reconing it should angle the engine away from the master cylinder somewhat.

the other option i am considering is to shave some metal off the master cylinder but i have no idea how much material it is safe to remove.

anyone help

thanks

mark

Kev-G

Tilt the servo up slightly - Some spacers under the bottom bolts..

Revla
Tilt the servo up slightly - Some spacers under the bottom bolts..

Or slot the hole on the upper engine mount (the single hole where the stud for the rubber goes through)....

Then loosen the gearbox mount off (its on slots) and move cam belt cover away from the cylinder.

HTH

Trev

mos
Or slot the hole on the upper engine mount (the single hole where the stud for the rubber goes through)....

Then loosen the gearbox mount off (its on slots) and move cam belt cover away from the cylinder.

HTH

Trev

its not the cambelt plastic cover thats the problem

i have clearance there

its the metal rocker cover itself that the master cylinder is gouging into

thanks

mark

jonand
its not the cambelt plastic cover thats the problem

i have clearance there

its the metal rocker cover itself that the master cylinder is gouging into

thanks

mark

I've used the standard S16 cam cover, and found that cutting a notch out the corner of coil pack cover (i.e. not the main cover that contains the oil) cleared sufficiently - must use the harder bottom engine mount tho to limit movement.

Jon

Alastairh

I ground a little off the Mc.

Look in my pics under White 205 2.0.

maxi

In danger of sounding stupid are you sure the engine is sat down onto its mounts properly, Im sure mine didnt foul that badly.....

Im sure I used a ZX top rubber mount which is slightly shorter whilst spacing the "arm" of the mount where it bolts to the mount on the block (2 allan key bolts and two 16mm nuts, obviously had to open the holes slightly to allow for the angles of the bolts). I also modded the gearbox mount slightly to allow extra side to side movement too.

The problem you are experiencing does sound a little out of the ordinary though to be contacting that much.

By the way, was that you in the red citreon van last saturday at QEP? I was the one who turned up as you were leaving in the white transit.

Maxi

Revla

In danger of sounding stupid are you sure the engine is sat down onto its mounts properly, Im sure mine didnt foul that badly.....

Mine doesn't foul at all, with normal 205 grp N mount...........

Trev

mos

Im sure I used a ZX top rubber mount which is slightly shorter whilst spacing the "arm" of the mount where it bolts to the mount on the block (2 allan key bolts and two 16mm nuts, obviously had to open the holes slightly to allow for the angles of the bolts). I also modded the gearbox mount slightly to allow extra side to side movement too.

The problem you are experiencing does sound a little out of the ordinary though to be contacting that much.

By the way, was that you in the red citreon van last saturday at QEP? I was the one who turned up as you were leaving in the white transit.

Maxi

yes maxi that was me

i am going to check tomorrow if the engine is sat on its mounts correctly

i had a local garage fit the engine on tuesday and when i picked the car up it was dark

have not had a chance to check in proper daylight yet due to work but i am off tomorrow so will be getting in the garage for a proper inspection and to start fitting the kms stuff i got from matt.

zx mounts shorter that could be very useful, any particular zx model or are they all the same height?

spacing out the top mount and gearbox mount may have to be done as well, did you use washers etc to do that.

i may even have to reangle the servo and grind the master cylinder as well, what ever it takes to make it work!!!

thanks everyone for the suggestions keep them coming!

mark

Edited by mos

dazEmad

Mine gave more clearance my lever-ing the gear box mount with a big bar and then tightening the nuts back up, its possible we may have drilled it a bit to allow further adjustment.

mos

checked mounts and they were fine

although i did gain about 5mm of clearance from simply loosing the mountings nuts and bolts and then retightening them!

realised it was the bulkhead and master cylinder that were at fault not the engine

before doing anything else (that would take up loads of time) i decided in a rush of blood to the head to try levering the servo up to gain clearance by adjusting the bulkhead slightly

it worked!!!!

i now have a good 2-3cms of clearance!

thanks for your help guys!

maxi
checked mounts and they were fine

although i did gain about 5mm of clearance from simply loosing the mountings nuts and bolts and then retightening them!

realised it was the bulkhead and master cylinder that were at fault not the engine

before doing anything else (that would take up loads of time) i decided in a rush of blood to the head to try levering the servo up to gain clearance by adjusting the bulkhead slightly

it worked!!!!

i now have a good 2-3cms of clearance!

thanks for your help guys!

Watch you dont lose the seal between the master cylinder and servo.....this will result in a lack of brake assist!

Maxi

mos
Watch you dont lose the seal between the master cylinder and servo.....this will result in a lack of brake assist!

Maxi

thanks mate i will watch out for that

when i eventually finish building the thing that is!!!

having a few minor dilemas with it at the mo!

Sign in to follow this