• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Red_SLR

205 With K Series Engine

Guest Red_SLR

Hi, my first post so dont flame me :)

I did a quick search and did not find too much about k-series engines mentioned so here is my question.

I have a turbo charged K series engine sitting in my garage. Its running a saab turbo and ECU. It was fitted to a sprint/hilclimb car. Currently pushing approx 160bhp on low boost to keep lag down (previous car was very light and RWD so did not want too much lag) - with work on the head and the advantage of a FMIC on the 205 I could easily see 200bhp.

Has anyone fitted such an engine to a 205 before? I am aware that the engine mounts are not even close so I will have to get some made but other than that my main concern is gearbox and related transmission parts, i.e hubs and d/s etc.

I am thinking its going to be a big job and for the power I am going to get and the hassle of cusom parts I am thinking it might just be worth going the more proven route of the Mi-16 engine conversion??

Anyway, I would be glad to hear your thoughts on it...

Thanks

Simon.

veloce200
Hi, my first post so dont flame me :)

I did a quick search and did not find too much about k-series engines mentioned so here is my question.

I have a turbo charged K series engine sitting in my garage. Its running a saab turbo and ECU. It was fitted to a sprint/hilclimb car. Currently pushing approx 160bhp on low boost to keep lag down (previous car was very light and RWD so did not want too much lag) - with work on the head and the advantage of a FMIC on the 205 I could easily see 200bhp.

Has anyone fitted such an engine to a 205 before? I am aware that the engine mounts are not even close so I will have to get some made but other than that my main concern is gearbox and related transmission parts, i.e hubs and d/s etc.

I am thinking its going to be a big job and for the power I am going to get and the hassle of cusom parts I am thinking it might just be worth going the more proven route of the Mi-16 engine conversion??

Anyway, I would be glad to hear your thoughts on it...

Thanks

Simon.

is it for motorsport use or fun? I love the K - especially the VVC version - is it a 1.8 non vvc version you have? if you could make the bits yourself might be worth it. IIRC the 214's used a Pug box which was very weak (same box as on TU engines) so maybe a TU to XU bellhousing (do a search) would make the job easier..

Guest Red_SLR

Track day use only. I have quite a bit of experiance with the K which is why I was thinking about using it, I have had them for the last 6 or so years in everything from 120bhp guise upto 200bhp. Its a non vvc yes, currently running a 1400cc block, will prob drop that for an 1800 block tbh.

smckeown

A turbo 160bhp vs an n/a mi16 160 bhp is not real a choice as far as i'm concerned for track usage. :)

Welcome to the forum sport!

Sean

Guest Red_SLR

Hi Sean, car arrives Saturday - first track day in it on 9th Dec. :)

GazRallye

I think the k series drops into the rover metro iirc?

Seen a few sleepers with them in, badged gtis!

funny in a 205 with an mi16

funnier with a metro tho, nobody really expects them to be fast!

rutlandguy

Hi,

Read in a post on here a couple of months back that the 1.8VVC has a lower engine mount similar to the XU not that they line up or anything so the mount would be a custom one. Just thought the info might help you.

Phil

veloce200
A turbo 160bhp vs an n/a mi16 160 bhp is not real a choice as far as i'm concerned for track usage. :o

Welcome to the forum sport!

Sean

how about raising the revs to 7500 on the turbo and adding 1.5 bar boost...that'll be around 280hp - still want the MI? :)

veloce200
Track day use only. I have quite a bit of experiance with the K which is why I was thinking about using it, I have had them for the last 6 or so years in everything from 120bhp guise upto 200bhp. Its a non vvc yes, currently running a 1400cc block, will prob drop that for an 1800 block tbh.

stick it in a metro as is, big blower and intercooler and diff and clean up in the under 2 litre class....!

Guest Red_SLR

I could increase power but I dont think the bottom end would take it and I would need to get an Emerald or similar to run it. I also think that at that kind of boost it would not drive how I would like - i.e no lag. Hm, maybe need to think about it a bit more - I will be building the engine anyway so will see what happens when its running again..

pug_life

i'd say get a 205 and mock mount it to see the exact ammount of work but in all honesty i'd go for it.... an mi16 205 is guarenteed to work and be fun, but its not too individual which i guess is what you aim for when making a proper slag...

if you need a car i have a bare 205 rallye shell sat at mine needing moving....

welshpug

one thing to bear in mind is the weight of the unit, stick it on the scales, then do a search on here for the weight of an Mi16/S16/GTi6 engine.

(anyone weighed a V6 yet?)

veloce200
one thing to bear in mind is the weight of the unit, stick it on the scales, then do a search on here for the weight of an Mi16/S16/GTi6 engine.

(anyone weighed a V6 yet?)

k is definitely lighter not sure by how much. if you size the turbo correctly you'd only get lag in an area of the rev range you'd never visit anyway. i mean i can't see anyone dropping below 4000rpm on a track and even a pretty big turbo would have spooled up by then.

Butler

Would need a FWD gearbox.

I am wondering if you take a rover and a pug drive shaft, wether you can get them joined/sleeved together. That would be easier than changing the hubs, maybe.

Edited by Butler

Emmy Seize

Unless you have a PG1 (as found in the MGF or the later Rovers), it is a Peugeot gearbox, which gives you plenty of parts to choose from to solve the driveshaft issue.

The whole unit is a lot lighter than the MI16.

Fabricating an engine-mount for the K-Series shouldn´t be a big thing either, appart from the fact that the

Peugeot engine is tilted backwards where the K-Series is mounted with a slight forward tilt.

If I find the time tomorrow, I´ll take a few pics of the relevant parts.

Hilgie

I think you could mate the flywheelhousing as used on the K-series MA-gearbox (Peugeot box) to a newer BE4 gearbox from a 1.4/1.6 307.

That'll save you time in machining driveshafts, clutch problems and at least one engine mount. I supposed the bottom mount and the other mount still have to be custom though.

stu_woac

to use the be4r box the bottom mount wants modding anyways to keep the shaft level so making that up would help twice LOL

sounds a good project good luck budd I think your best bet is to look at a tu powered 205 and see whats different

cybernck

if it is possible to do a C20LET 205, then it's possible to do a K-series Turbo 205 too :rolleyes:.

stu_woac

the let conversion isnt that hard wants you got your head around it just wish I had the time and money

Scottieb

Did anything ever come of this? thinking about it myself.

Scott

Sign in to follow this