• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest rick03054

Engine Management Issues On A 206

Guest rick03054

My mums Y reg 1.1 206 has been playing up, the management light comes on every now and again with no real regularity or apparent cause ( I thought it was only happening when going round a hard right).

The full exhaust was replaced and a few days later the engine management light came on. She took it to a peugeot garage and they said it was a faulty cat. So she took it back to kwick fit and they replaced the cat, thankfully with no argumant as she had a reciept from peugeot.

A week or so after that the light came on again, but she was about to park up so left it and got on with what she was doing, when she returned to the car it was out so she decided it was all good. However it has been coming on every now and again.

The car runs fine and there seems to be no adverse effects, I thought maybe one of the fitters have knocked the lambda sensor in the exhaust? 2 brand new broken cats is unlikely to say the least. A dud sensor is likely.

What do you think? How can I check it?

Higgy

Faulty cat?

I thought (or they used to be) basically a metal (platinum etc) matrix held in a steel box so to speak.

What is there to go faulty? The only electronics is the lambda sensor?!? I guess the actual mechanical construction of the cat could fall apart or it could get blocked up.

My 405 is starting to smell of fuel in the mornings when it is cold and I have had the engine light come on, a blip of the accelerator turns it off. I guess that is the lambda sensor, or the wiring from it to the ECU.

I am sure there are people on the forum that knows why the light comes on (readings from lambda out of parameter I guess). Mr Cat does not like unburn fuel.

Higgy.

Guest rick03054

That's what I thought, so decided to seek out more knowledgeable minds, (free ones :) ).

veloce200
That's what I thought, so decided to seek out more knowledgeable minds, (free ones :) ).

have you had the codes read? try these guys for a code reader www.gendan.co.uk

good luck

Guest rick03054
have you had the codes read? try these guys for a code reader www.gendan.co.uk

good luck

Yeah, when the light first came on, that's when they said faulty cat. Maybe I should have pushed it a bit, found out how it was faulty. But you don't like to question pros too much about things you don't understand do you.

I figure if I'm taking ti to get the code read again I'll just get them to check it for me, I was hoping to be able to find out if the lambda is faulty before that though.

ablister

Sometimes a car doesn't like aftermarket cat's. I've replaced a few aftermarket cat's with genuine ones after management lights coming on

Guest rick03054
Sometimes a car doesn't like aftermarket cat's. I've replaced a few aftermarket cat's with genuine ones after management lights coming on

Oh sh*t, dont say that! ;)

What happens when the car detects a fault with the lambda? Does the ecu make any changes or is it just letting you know somethings not right? I think it's Marelli-Weber 1AP management looking here.

Higgy

I thought the lambda sensor was before the cat (exhaust manifold - lambda - cat), or thats what my 405 looked like this morning.

If so, why would that effect the engine management. The cat is effectively just a lump of metal. No moving parts, no electronics.

I guess different back pressures could cause gas to flow back towards the sensor. I just cant think of how a different cat would make a difference?

Higgy.

Alastairh

I would say first call is your lamba, although if it was unplugged/bad connection, wouldn't it go in a limp home mode? So is there any loss of power?

Best bet is to get it on a diagonstic machine. If kwick fit have screwed up your lamba id be asking for money for replacement.

Alastair

Guest rick03054

I can't understand it either, but I don't think the cat made a difference as the problem is still there. That's why I wanted to check the lambda, it's the only thing I can think of that's in that area. The only way I can think of for a cat to be faulty would need a NOx sensor of some kind after it. But then I'm not exactly an engine management whizz :unsure:

I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and get it looked at. Thanks for the replies guys :(

EDIT: Alistair - no limp home home mode car runs fine other than the light is on.

Edited by rick03054

ablister
I thought the lambda sensor was before the cat (exhaust manifold - lambda - cat), or thats what my 405 looked like this morning.

If so, why would that effect the engine management. The cat is effectively just a lump of metal. No moving parts, no electronics.

I guess different back pressures could cause gas to flow back towards the sensor. I just cant think of how a different cat would make a difference?

Higgy.

this engine will be the L4 engine which have both upstream (before the cat) and downstream (after the cat) lambda probes fitted. They monitor each other and if the cat doesn't work as it should, the downstream one picks this up and alerts the ecu.

Lambda probe(s) should be fine, i'd go with faulty cat although you're best to get it properly checked out to be 100%

ali

Sign in to follow this