• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Johnthefish

Rear Beam Ride Height

Guest Johnthefish

Hello hoping someone out there can help me!?

I have just finished refurbishing my rear beam. Now time to put it all back together! the only thing is I don't know the ride height that it is supposed to be. Does anyone know how far away the middle of the hub should be from the top of the arch at stock height? Or any other mesurement that may help??

Higgy

You set the ride height using the length of the shock absorbers.

Check out the beam guides on the main site, they are very useful.

Higgy.

Guest Johnthefish
You set the ride height using the length of the shock absorbers.

Check out the beam guides on the main site, they are very useful.

Higgy.

I don't suppose you know what length that is do you? If I can get a mesurement of roughly what it is supposed to be at standard I will have a point at which I can then set my car up.Looking back I probably should have done this before I removed the beam!

Anthony

For a 1.6/1.9 beam, you're aiming for around 322-325mm between the shock mounting holes (without the shock attached) for standard ride height, and around 312-315mm for one lowered around 30mm

The shorter the distance between the shock centers, the lower the beam.

Guest Johnthefish

Brilliant mate that was just what I needed to hear ! :)

Irish Al

Ive read the rear beam guide and still dont understand how to lower the car. Am sure I will find out once I take it off.

daza4
Ive read the rear beam guide and still dont understand how to lower the car. Am sure I will find out once I take it off.

Well I lowered my car using the guide before I knew anyone peugeot.

Do yourself a favour print the document out first. Jack the car up at the rear !!! and get a cup of Tea/ Coffee.

Sit down and follow the guide on paper. Then get another cup of tea/ coffee. Do it again and I assure you it will be a lot easier than going full on doing a bit at a time following the instructions. if you need any help dont hesitate in contacting me as I will offer any help required.

Good luck and Dont panic!!!! it is definatley worth it. give it a try.

sonofsam

^ Good advice.

"The British Empire was built on Tea" , and many a 205 Beam no doubt...

pug_ham

Set the desired distance between the shock mounting bolt centers & rotate the torsion bars a spline at a time until the push home fully, they are a vernier type so the adjusment is almost infinate. (This is with both ends of the torsion bars disconnected & not by the one spline method).

Graham.

Irish Al

Before I start dismanteling the rear beam - can the car also be lowered at the rear by using adjustable shocks ?

maturin23

The ride height is controlled by the torsion bars NOT by the shocks.

By temporarily replacing the shock absorber with piece of wood of a fixed length the trailing arm is held at a specific angle, then the torsion bar is fitted.

Once the torsion bar is in place, the shocks are re-fitted.

Do this on both sides and you'll have the same ride height across the back.

sonofsam
Before I start dismanteling the rear beam - can the car also be lowered at the rear by using adjustable shocks ?

Search ' dummy shock ' :)

Irish Al

Thanks, haveing read loads of posts I think Ill just have to get started now.

Al

pug_ham

No, the only way to lower the rear beam is by changing the distance betwen the shocker mounting bolts centre as described here.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this