• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
migti

205 With 106 Gti 16v Engine

migti

Hi all

been wanting to build a 205 with a 1.6 16v , but what do you start of with........

is a xs easier as it has a tu?

can the tu 16v be mated to a be box as heard the ma gbox is very weak!

Any help on this one appreciated

Cheers

Sandy

I've done it, but wouldn't do it again (sorry to put a downer on it), it's as much agro as an XU engine swap and the 8v TU makes a great engine with a bit of investment. The TU 16v is as heavy as an XU 16v and has less power potential with the worse gearbox. The BE conversion is going to add even more hassle.

But if your heart's set on it, it's pretty academic wether you start wih a TU or XU engined car, as long as it's post 89. The XU engine car will need the gear linkage (including the pivot post on the subframe), shafts, hubs, engine mounts and exhaust from a TU car. A TU engined car will need the fuel tank and high pressure fuel pipes from a GTi (Injection TU tanks use low pressure pumps and no baffles). You can't use an earlier MA box, because they don't have the proper crank sensor apeture, but using a later box, you need to fit the nearside seal about 3mm proud of the housing to make it seal, because the shaft can't go in as far due to a thicker cross pin in the diff. The exhaust will end up being a lash up at best unless you spend serious time or money on re-working the manifold and decent sized centre sections for the TU aren't really available. The wiring is pretty easy as long as the ECU you have has been unlocked, if not, that'll cost you to sort out as well. I took the easy route and used a DTA ECU (I decided to run TB's in the end too).

The BE conversion requires the gear casing from TU engined cars with the BE4R gearbox, but the ratios supplied are pretty rubbish and it will need to be re-built as a hybrid to get the full benefit. The clutch is hydralic operation on all UK BE4R TU's afaik, so you'll need to work out a cable conversion of your own or convert to a hydralic clutch pedal, not easy!

Give it plenty of thought!

migti

cheers for the reply!

sounds like a bit much work for not so much gain! jst i had a loan of my mates 106 gti and felt damnd quick

Anyways thanks for the insight!

jamie

Sign in to follow this