• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Moys1.9

Didn't Use Mineral Oil.

Moys1.9

Rebuilt my engine and have since done 820 miles. Did an oil change at 250 miles (including filter change) but have been using cheapy tesco 10w40. I heard and read on here to use mineral oil because it wears quicker??? I started at 3000 revs and have only gone up to 4500. Should I bother switching to mineral now or just keep going woth the tesco stuff. Was gonna put some decent oil in at 1000 miles or should I wait till 1500?

cheers

Normski

I don't know for sure, but I would have thought 'cheapy tesco 10w-40' is a mineral oil. A mineral oil is one that isn't a semi-synthetic or a fully synthetic.

It's used when running an engine in so the piston rings can bed in to the cylinder bores. The better oils (semi/full synthetic) are too good in this process and don't allow proper bedding. :lol:

I recently got a brand new motorbike and I was interested in the running in procedure and what spec of oil is used (for running in and then normal use). I was told by the dealer that a mineral oil is used (just as I would have thought), but after it's first service at 600 miles I was surprised to find out that mineral oil is still used :P . This is on a super sports 636cc machine with a 15,500rpm red line and 4000mile service intervals (and two year warranty). It was only after a bit more research that I found out that new bikes should have mineral oil until 15 - 20 thousand miles :D , it's not recommended to use a synthetic oil until then.

Not totally relevant to your engine but interesting none the less (I think anyway).

DTORU

Ummm when i work as a honda bike mechanic the bikes were shipped with mineral oil which we would change to semi - syn at the 600 mile service. The avrage running in for most bikes is about 600 miles just to let everything bed in, so as for 20,000 mile i know i would'nt i built a race motor for my bike did 600 miles and switched to easter systhetic 0W-20 oil. Still works fine and get thrashed sensless.

smckeown

plenty of advice from experienced engine builders on this site, use the search facility. Expect some bad news :)

Normski
Ummm when i work as a honda bike mechanic the bikes were shipped with mineral oil which we would change to semi - syn at the 600 mile service. The avrage running in for most bikes is about 600 miles just to let everything bed in, so as for 20,000 mile i know i would'nt i built a race motor for my bike did 600 miles and switched to easter systhetic 0W-20 oil. Still works fine and get thrashed sensless.

What I stated above appiles to road bikes and came from piece in MCN (motorcycle news), one of the head technical engineers from Honda UK wrote in with this information.

Race bikes are different, wanting max power but a shorter life.

oilman

The Tesco's 10w-40 WILL be a mineral oil.

ALL semi's are in fact mineral base oils with an element of hydrocracked (highly processed mineral oil) added to make it a semi.

SEMI SYNTHETIC is fine for running in.

Cheers

Simon

Sandy

I and all the engine builders I work with use the same oil throughout the engines life. Well matched components and correct tolerances in modern engines negates the need for "bedding in". The only acclerated wear issue i've had related directly to a serious overfuelling episode.

Sign in to follow this