• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ultimatepug

Got A Problem.....

ultimatepug

right...

yesterday, i had a water pipe frm the heater matrix to the pump split, set about doing a temp repair to get me home. got half way back (about 3-4 miles) and the car starts spluttering violently and then completely dies. now ive had the same situation on my old miami 1.6, same pipe split causing water to go all over the dizzy,leads sort of area. checked around there for damp, nothing. anyways, managed to get it going again, got back to the top of my street and it dies again. this time it will not go.

ive taken off the dizzy cap to check if that was damp checked the leads and nothing. checked the switch between the ignition module and the dizzy, again thats fine and dry. pulled out the plug to the ignition module and this was quite wet. ive tried to dry it out with a hairdryer (lol) and used a bit of wd40 on the plug then re connected. still nothing. ive removed 2 of the plugs to check for a spark, and there isnt one,

so...

what could be my problem here? has the damp plug knackered up the module? coil knackered possibly? or maybe the timings out?

im at at a lose end, and any help would be appreciated.

adam

id go along the lines of gaining a spark first, so change the ign amp and coil and see where that gets you

has she got an immobiliser?

ultimatepug

no immobiliers mate no, std pug alarm thats all.

adam

CJ_2_0_5

Hi m8, sorry to hear your having problems. :lol:

If I was you I would narrow down the problem a bit further. Check the king lead from the coil to see if there is spark there so you can rule out dizzy/cap for now.

Also check the rev counter while you are cranking if it is nailed to zero then most likely something is wrong with the ignition module/wiring associated with that.

Check the connector between the dizzy flying lead and the ignition module wiring. I have had problems with that in the past.

The Pug alarm system has an immobiliser built in to the ignition circuit so might also be worth disabling the alarm with the key while checking just to be on the safe side.

Cheers

CJ

ultimatepug
Check the connector between the dizzy flying lead and the ignition module wiring. I have had problems with that in the past.

you werent wrong! lol

turned out to be the plug that sits inbetween the dizzy and the ignition module, pins had come loose inside the plug giving it a poor or no connection. soon sorted that!

also fitted some new injecter seals, one had a pretty big air leak, which was probably why it was hesitating.

seems to be goin well now. ive ordered a new dizzy cap and arm as theres signs of pitting on the connections so should be spot on after that..

adam

CJ_2_0_5

Glad you sorted it :)

Strange that the pins coming loose coincided with the pipe bursting, but thats Pugs for you. Why only have one problem, when several at once will do!

Cheers

CJ

Sign in to follow this