• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Trick

Why Are My Filters Catching With The Bonnet?!

Trick

I have an mi with pugspares manifold for my weber 45s....and bought some new filters for the carbs, and when i close my bonnet, it has squashed a filter..

I have an auto bonnet as well, so surely i have extra room above the carbs?!

not sure why this is!?! surely it must be the manifold angled too high - in which case, why do they sell it?!

The filters are the correct ITG model for this car, and similar in size to the airbox design.

I used to run std engine mounts, but now have baker mounts - still no change there (not that i thought there would be..)

Engine

I changed from socks to filters because socks were sh*t!!

James_R

The engine shot you've put up doesn't give much idea of the hieght of the filters, try taking one across the engine bay, so you can see how high they sit realtive to the wing?

:wub:

inferno

Has the engine been tilted when fitted?

Trick
Has the engine been tilted when fitted?

This is the only pic i have at moment (without filters) and the conversion wasnt quite finished, so guessing this shows the correct installed tilt. I thought this was the standard fitting?

engine32.jpg

Trick
The engine shot you've put up doesn't give much idea of the hieght of the filters, try taking one across the engine bay, so you can see how high they sit realtive to the wing?

:wub:

Ive only got this other pic, but can get one taken tomorrow across the bay.

IMG_2685.JPG

Miles

Is it the TWM or Jenvey Inlet?, But you need to remember that these are designed to fit a 405 bay not a 205 and getting filters to clear has always been a issue

Trick

MIles,

It isnt the jenvey, so can only assume its the other kind (think pugspares only sell 2).

I wasnt aware of that - but as they have it listed under the 205 conversion section, so would assume that it should be suitable for my application...

James_R

I was under the impression that carb manifolds were designed to make the carb sit lever (for side draft carbs) so the chambers and floats work correctly? it does look rather like they are tilted up compared to the sacthell/jenvey inlets I've seen and been fitting recently.

other alternatives woudl be to make a new backing plate so the filter sits lover on the trumpets for clearance, or make up some angle plates to tiled the trumpets and filters down.

Good luck with it, looks good :wub:

B1ack_Mi16

Jenvey Mi16 inlet make the carbs/tb's sit at an angle and you'll get problems with bonnet clearance.

I'm using the XU10 block on mine, which is 15mm taller, and I had to buy a glassfibre bonnet with a big humt to clear the inlet.

Kev-G

The Pugspares manifold fits where it touches....It's a higher angle than ie. Jenvey.

Pipercross filter box is more curved to the front + provides more clearance....When using this we still had to drop the engine slightly..

Robsbc

Why are you worrying over a trivial thing? Does the bonnet shut afterwards? What's the problem?

I also have an Mi16 running a Longman inlet manifold with 45mm trumpets & Pipercross PX600 90mm internal depth. Bonnet sound proofing catches on the filters from day one...The car was not designed for this arrangement if the bonnet closes why worry?

post-284-1164027789_thumb.jpg

Robsbc
Why are you worrying over a trivial thing? Does the bonnet shut afterwards? What's the problem?

I also have an Mi16 running a Longman inlet manifold with 45mm trumpets & Pipercross PX600 90mm internal depth. Bonnet sound proofing catches on the filters from day one...The car was not designed for this arrangement if the bonnet closes why worry?

The profile of my filter now baised downwards becuase of the tight fit, the metal mesh inside the filter has been deformed.

Robsbc
The profile of my filter now baised downwards becuase of the tight fit, the metal mesh inside the filter has been deformed.

Could always try this set up if ur concerned?

post-284-1164028144_thumb.jpg

Trick

why worry? well if my carbs are not getting an equal air distribution because one filter is a different shape - wont the setup be a nightmare?

Galv

I have the same serial filters on mine with no problems, I have Longman manifolds and the do seem to angle down alot more than yours do.

Alastairh

So how did the car get on at the rollers this week mate?

Sign in to follow this