• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest doggybs

Adjusting Tick Over

Guest doggybs

Hi All,

I've just purchased my first 205 GTI, with 1.9 MI16 engine conversion. So far I am very pleased with the car but one minor problem is the tick over RPM. By looking at other posts it seems it should be around 1k, where as when it is cold mine is around 2k to 2.5k, and 1.5k when warm.

Does any know what could be causing this, or how I adjust the tick over. I've check the throttle body and it is fully closed when idling.

Thanks

James

Ryan

Check that the switch on the throttle body is closing when you fully shut the throttle. If the throttle switch isn't being switched then the ECU won't know to use the idle valve to control the engine speed.

j_turnell

Could possibly be an air leak or a dodgy tps. Also mi's are prone to worn throttle spindles, check those out.

Edited by j_turnell

Guest doggybs

Thanks for that, I will do some investigating.

I think the throttle switch is been switched, as when open the throttle slightly I hear button clicking kind of noise, but I shall need to spend some time looking to see where the switch is and if the wires are actually connected etc.

Cheers

James.

Guest doggybs

Ok, I unplugged the TPS this morning and it made no difference at. Still Idels real high.

I've decided that the car is running real slow aswell, and unplugged the TPS made no difference to the running of the car.

Do you agree this points at a broken TPS? The problem is there £40+vat for a new one :)

Zed

Mine has the same symptoms altho my idle is up and down all the time. Sometimes it will have a rock steady perfect idle, then it will be stalling at traffic lights. I thought my problem lied more with the ICV though, I have a spare to try when i get 5mins.

Guest doggybs

w00000t, Change TPS and tick over is all good.

But something else is still wrong. Struggles to maintain 1k. Keeps Choking and then blipping, if you know what i mean. Prob need to find a new AFM now :-(.

Sign in to follow this