• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gtiracer

How Do You Tel If A Rear Beam Is Ok

Gtiracer

Hi, guys i have a 1.9 rear beam i would like to put on my car but before i start lowering it and adding the discs/calipers etc onto it, i want to know for sure its a good beam and i don't know everything to check.

Can anyone advise please?

Cheers in advance

Edited by Gtiracer

Ahl

Without taking it apart, you can't be truely sure of the condition.

If it has any sort of high mileage it will be on its way out anyway, and you'd be well advised to have a look inside and replace the seals at least.

Things you can do would be to compress the trailing arms, seeing if they move freely and without any lateral play.

If they are in the least bit notchy or have any play, the beam is probably screwed.

Gtiracer

ok thanks, how difficult is it to take these things apart when off the car, also i dont have a massive selection of tools so if anyone knows the tools needed exactly, please spill.

Also if anyone knows some recommend bits that need replacing like as you say, the seals or anything else, please mention here so i can buy before stripping down

max0
ok thanks, how difficult is it to take these things apart when off the car, also i dont have a massive selection of tools so if anyone knows the tools needed exactly, please spill.

Also if anyone knows some recommend bits that need replacing like as you say, the seals or anything else, please mention here so i can buy before stripping down

have a read of this quide, think it covers it all really. As already said you cant really tell without opening it up. For a full rebuild eg bearings,trailing arms, seals etc is about £180.

http://205gtidrivers.com/articles.php?data=b-rearbeamrefurb

pug_ham

The only way to tell the actual condition of a beam is to strip it.

I've tested some beams off cars, they moved smoothly & seemed Ok but when they were stripped the radius arm shafts were borderline usable.

There isn't much difference to taking it apart on the car, only thing is the beam isn't soldily fastened so when using an impact driver with the correct sized torx bit you need to wedge it against a solid immovable object to undo the torx screws through the offset washer & knock it apart once everything is undone.

Other than that its the same as with it on the car (& not hard imo).

Graham.

Gtiracer
The only way to tell the actual condition of a beam is to strip it.

I've tested some beams off cars, they moved smoothly & seemed Ok but when they were stripped the radius arm shafts were borderline usable.

There isn't much difference to taking it apart on the car, only thing is the beam isn't soldily fastened so when using an impact driver with the correct sized torx bit you need to wedge it against a solid immovable object to undo the torx screws through the offset washer & knock it apart once everything is undone.

Other than that its the same as with it on the car (& not hard imo).

Graham.

I've never done one on a car either :) , is it possible to lower it as well (providing its good) off the car and if so, how do i tell is its been lowered already, im a bit of a novice as you can tell!

max0
I've never done one on a car either :) , is it possible to lower it as well (providing its good) off the car and if so, how do i tell is its been lowered already, im a bit of a novice as you can tell!

yeah once its apart you can lower it, however its prob best to do this on the car, its coverd in the quide i think. you can either do it by measuring the distance of a dummy shock or a spline on the torsion bar.

pug_ham

To tell if its already been lowered you need the rear shocks removed & measure between the shock bolts centres.

Anything less than 325mm & its definately been lowered imo.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this